K-lite Codec Pack refuses to make WAV files sound as 5.1 surround

3 posters

Go down

K-lite Codec Pack refuses to make WAV files sound as 5.1 surround Empty K-lite Codec Pack refuses to make WAV files sound as 5.1 surround

Post by VincentFernandes Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:08 pm

Hello everyone.

I have been using K-lite Codec Pack for several months now, and the results I get when I play MP3 files to my 5.1 surround system are just fabulous. But could anyone please tell me why WAV files remain stereo when I play them using Media Player Classic or Media Player? MP3, WMA etc. sounds like 5.1 surround, but stereo WAV files, just won't play in surround sound. How can I solve this? I disabled Microsoft internal MP3 decoder because K-lite Codec pack does a way better job, but I'd love to play WAV files in 5.1 as well. I even checked the checkbox 'apply dolby prologic ii to all stereo sources', but even that won't work!

VincentFernandes

Back to top Go down

K-lite Codec Pack refuses to make WAV files sound as 5.1 surround Empty Re: K-lite Codec Pack refuses to make WAV files sound as 5.1 surround

Post by Admin Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:41 am

WAV files are uncompressed audio. They are handled by the standard filters of Windows. If you want to use ffdshow, you need to enable "uncompressed" in ffdshow. To upmix stereo to 5.1 you need to enable "expand stero to surround/center" in ffdshow on Mixer page.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

K-lite Codec Pack refuses to make WAV files sound as 5.1 surround Empty Re: K-lite Codec Pack refuses to make WAV files sound as 5.1 surround

Post by Sparktank Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:53 am

Upmixing stereo to 5.1 is not always going to be as expected.
It's generally not favorable, as the source material (in stereo format) was not recorded to allow for any surround sound dynamics.

Aside from ffdshow settings, you should also enable your 5.1 surround system to "Dolby Prologic". Your receiver system must also be able to handle DPL 1/2.

Lastly, it largely depends how you hook your computer/laptop to your 5.1 surround system.
If the Speaker/Volume/Audio hardware settings on your PC/Laptop are configured to output digitally or analogue and if the speaker setup is configured for 2.0/5.1/etc.

With stereo sources, you're best bet is to check what settings your 5.1 system can offer.
Some offer a psuedo-surround sound environment. Some offer different echoing formats. Delay-times for the Center, Front and Rear speakers (as well as additional speakers if greater than 5.1), and also DSP effects, such as "3 speaker", "theater", etc.

Using stereo sources, I really don't hear too much 5.1 dynamics as I do with 5.1 sources (discreet audio).

Other than that, you can also look into audio programs to convert your audio into a Dolby ProLogic-compatible format for pseudo-surround sound.

There are some free programs to help with this, and some paid programs as well as paid VST-plugins.

Tutorials are quite easy to find, as well, if you google.

Sparktank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum