Getting a popup to switch to Windows Video player

2 posters

Go down

Getting a popup to switch to Windows Video player Empty Getting a popup to switch to Windows Video player

Post by UserXP Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:21 pm

Hi, all.

I have been using K-Lite Basic for years as I only need support for various media files to be played through Windows Media Player and it has been working great. I have Windows 10 Pro on that system.

Anyway, every once in a while, upon opening a random video file from File Explorer, I get a popup asking me to open the file in Windows 10 Video Player instead (the default supplied player, even though I set and associated all supported file types to be played through Windows Media Player during K-Lite installation).

The popup window has the same icon as Windows Media Player, but its UI resembles that of W10. There are two buttons, blue Make Default (to make Movie Player the default player and anull the associated WMP, I suppose), Open (to load the file on that one instance in Movie Player), and No Thanks link (which proceeds to opening Windows Media Player and playing the file). I always select No Thanks, but the popup keeps reappearing again after some time.
Does anyone know how to disable this prompt? Is there a setting for Windows Media Player, or is this a Windows nag feature? Maybe a registry tweak to disable this, or something in the Codec Tweak Tool?

Thanks in advance for any input.

UserXP

Back to top Go down

Getting a popup to switch to Windows Video player Empty Re: Getting a popup to switch to Windows Video player

Post by Admin Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:56 pm

Closing the notification creates an entry here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts

Whenever a new application is installed that supports an extension, then it may show the message when opening such a file.

Microsoft tries to push its own apps so it may reset stuff in various situations. Like big Windows updates. It also resets file associations when installing "old" software that creates file associations in a way that MS doesn't like.

K-Lite creates the needed entries for its own file associations.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Getting a popup to switch to Windows Video player Empty Re: Getting a popup to switch to Windows Video player

Post by Admin Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:58 pm

WMP is of course a terrible player. You should really move to using MPC-HC.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UserXP Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:44 pm

Admin wrote:Closing the notification creates an entry here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts

Whenever a new application is installed that supports an extension, then it may show the message when opening such a file.

Microsoft tries to push its own apps so it may reset stuff in various situations. Like big Windows updates. It also resets file associations when installing "old" software that creates file associations in a way that MS doesn't like.

K-Lite creates the needed entries for its own file associations.

Thanks for the quick and informative reply, as always. I just checked that registry key you supplied, there is a long list of applications listed, they all have values set to 0.
This is definitely a Microsoft thing, then. I miss the days when a user had the option to check/uncheck almost every single setting in Windows. Now they simply decide for us, on our own PCs and shove it down our throats the way they think it should be. I remember using VLC once as a default player for a short time and I also got that popup, probably because it associated some of the extensions. It will probably happen with MPC-HC at one point. I use this computer only for movie and music files, which are mostly in a file format (no DVD or alike anymore), WMP serves the purpose. I use it in its skin mode because it resembles the old WMP from XP and has all the controls/settings I need, and with the help of your great codec pack, it can play everything I throw at it. But, I agree that it is somehow stuck in the early 2000s when it comes to the variety of performance on its own.

UserXP

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:36 pm

The value is irrelevant. It just checks for the value name.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UserXP Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:03 pm

Admin wrote:The value is irrelevant. It just checks for the value name.
Anyway, thanks for the help as always. Cool

UserXP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum