How to set default file associations for MPC (x64)?

2 posters

Go down

How to set default file associations for MPC (x64)? Empty How to set default file associations for MPC (x64)?

Post by Radish Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:52 pm

I am new to Windows 11. I have newly installed k-lite codec pack (standard) to the system. I have to set file associations so that they are assigned to MPC-HC.  The associations I want to set are for video file-types only (not for audio file-types). I have to do this by running MPC-HC as an administrator and through Windows Settings. But I'm getting really confused as there are so many file types listed there and trying to see the list MPC-HC provides and matching them in the Windows Settings GUI is causing me real problems.

However, then I noticed that the Settings page (GUI) I'm looking at is titled Apps > Default apps > Media Player Classic (x64) Then it dawned on me that maybe the file-type list that is there is set and restricted to the all the file-types that MPC can handle — am I correct in thinking this? And, if that is the case, is it okay for me to just set all the file-types listed there to be handled by MPC?

I hope my description and questions make sense.
Radish
Radish

Back to top Go down

How to set default file associations for MPC (x64)? Empty Re: How to set default file associations for MPC (x64)?

Post by Admin Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:11 pm

The installer can quickly set all file associations for you.

If you use multiple Windows accounts, then you have to use the Windows settings you mentioned. If you want to use it for everything, then you can select all there. It is only listed for things it supports.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

How to set default file associations for MPC (x64)? Empty Re: How to set default file associations for MPC (x64)?

Post by Radish Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:19 pm

Thank you for your response.

Yes, what you write is how I used to set things up on Win7 and Win10. But that isn't working for me on Win11. If I click on the Set as default program button I get this message:To change your default apps, go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps

Once in there I need to click on the option Media Player Classic (x64) And then, following your advice, set everything in there to be opened with MPC. Which was about a minute of tedious clicking.

The only thing I didn't set was for .webp which as far as I am aware is an image file, not a video file. Am I correct in thinking this? Or is this something I don't understand about MPC?
Radish
Radish

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:50 pm

Yes, Microsoft made it difficult to change default applications, because they want you to use their own crappy apps.

.webp is an image format.

The K-Lite installer already creates the global file associations. So you don't need to do anything in MPC-HC itself. You only need to adjust the default App settings in Windows.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum