Will gaming monitor help watching video in accelerated speed?

2 posters

Go down

Will gaming monitor help watching video in accelerated speed? Empty Will gaming monitor help watching video in accelerated speed?

Post by katana Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:24 pm

I do a lot of TV recording and of course it is impossible to watch all recorded videos at normal speed. I just don't have time to watch a few hours of videos a day.

Instead, I always use the jump forward function and play the videos at high speed.

My question is, although the videos are at 25 fps when playing at normal speed. How many frames can MPC output in a second if I keep jumping forward? Will it exceed 60 fps? If so, I may need to buy a gaming monitor.

Since I don't play games, a fast monitor will be useless for me if MPC do not output more than 60fps.

katana

Back to top Go down

Will gaming monitor help watching video in accelerated speed? Empty Re: Will gaming monitor help watching video in accelerated speed?

Post by Admin Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:59 am

You can adjust the playback rate of the video:
Player menu > Play > Playback rate

So you can watch at for example 4x speed.

If the number of frames per second is higher than your monitor refreshrate, then it will simply skip some frames. It is not important to see every single frame when watching at higher speed. So I suggest trying with your old monitor first.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Will gaming monitor help watching video in accelerated speed? Empty Re: Will gaming monitor help watching video in accelerated speed?

Post by katana Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:17 am

I need granular control
ie. I set keyboard shortcuts for Jump Forward (small), (medium) & (large)
for interesting parts of the videos, I play with small jumps
for boring ones, I play with large
I can change the speed in no time by hitting different keyboard shortcuts

setting the playback rate takes multiple clicks
I change the playback speed hundreds times a day
that will take me at least a thousand clicks and is impractical

and my question on whether a fast monitor is needed is not answered

katana

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:36 pm

There are shortcuts for the playback rate as well.

Jumping does not change the framerate of the video. It just seeks to a new position in the video. Faster monitor does not help in that case.

If you play a 25fps video at double speed, then it becomes 50fps. At 4 times normal speed it becomes 100fps. If you need to see every single distinct frame, then a fast monitor will help. With a 60Hz monitor it would drop 40% of the frames at that speed. But a faster monitor does not help you process the video in shorter time.

You can quickly skip through a video with Ctrl + mouse scrollwheel, which does 20 sec jumps. You can also drag the seekbar.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by katana Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:26 am

Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm not asking about increasing the fps of the video, but the rate of frame output. They sound similar but are different.

What I'm doing is to play videos fast but:
- at variable speed with fine control
- minimal keyboard key press and don't use the mouse
- keep outputting every single frame if possible

I can't find any keyboard shortcut to set playback rate at fine control

If achieved and mpc output more than 60 frames per second, then I'm going to buy a gaming monitor.
If not, then I'll keep using a productivity monitor.

katana

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:15 pm

The rate shortcut is Ctrl+Up/Down

By default it doubles/halves. But you can adjust it to a % here:
Options > Playback > Speed Step

If the video is 25fps and the monitor 60Hz, then MPC will actually display 60 frames, but only 25 distinct ones and the rest repeats. You can speed up the video up to 2.4x without loosing any video frames.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum