Stuttering/Skipping with 60 FPS 4K MKV files when using MPC Video Renderer, madVR is fine

2 posters

Go down

Stuttering/Skipping with 60 FPS 4K MKV files when using MPC Video Renderer, madVR is fine Empty Stuttering/Skipping with 60 FPS 4K MKV files when using MPC Video Renderer, madVR is fine

Post by ahmadmob Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:08 pm

As the title says, 60 FPS 4K MKV files are skipping/stuttering every ~10 seconds when playing them in 4k. madVR is smooth. Any reason why this could be happening? if I uncheck "Use Direct3D 11" in MPC Video Renderer properties, the skipping gets much less (almost smooth). I tried different hardware decoders in LAV Video options but nothing helped.

I also tried on a second SSD with a fresh Windows 10 installation and the same stuttering/skipping happens. Here's one video example that I have this issue with: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-xpRRkhX5IZeP0Gn4aozfdUnU4ElG3qv/view?usp=sharing
Skipping happens only when playing on 4K monitor, I tried playing the same video on 1080p monitor and no skipping, so for testing you would unfortunately need a 4k monitor.
Turning V-Sync on for MPC in Nvidia Control Panel didn't help.

I am on Windows 10 22H2
Latest K-Lite Mega Codec Pack
I have AMD 5950X with RTX 3090.

Thanks!

ahmadmob

Back to top Go down

Stuttering/Skipping with 60 FPS 4K MKV files when using MPC Video Renderer, madVR is fine Empty Re: Stuttering/Skipping with 60 FPS 4K MKV files when using MPC Video Renderer, madVR is fine

Post by Admin Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:57 pm

Press Ctrl+J to show debug overlay and make a screenshot.

Test what happens if you uncheck all boxes under "DXVA2/D3D11 video processor".

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Stuttering/Skipping with 60 FPS 4K MKV files when using MPC Video Renderer, madVR is fine Empty Re: Stuttering/Skipping with 60 FPS 4K MKV files when using MPC Video Renderer, madVR is fine

Post by ahmadmob Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:43 pm

Here with default MPC Video Renderer
Stuttering/Skipping with 60 FPS 4K MKV files when using MPC Video Renderer, madVR is fine Mpc_vi12

Here with MPC Video Renderer with DXVA2/D3D11 video processor boxes unchecked
Stuttering/Skipping with 60 FPS 4K MKV files when using MPC Video Renderer, madVR is fine Mpc_vi14

Interesting as with all of them unchecked it's much smoother but still skipping a bit.
I didn't uncheck "Use Direct3D 11" in both instances.
When unchecking "Use Direct3D 11" it's so smooth:
Stuttering/Skipping with 60 FPS 4K MKV files when using MPC Video Renderer, madVR is fine No_dir10

I think it's worth mentioning that if I set my 4K monitor to 2K resolution the skipping is much less, if I set to 1080p there's no skipping at all (log shows 0/0 skipped throughout the whole video). So it definitely has to do with processing while using the MPC Video Renderer as with more resolution it suffers more and my PC should be powerful enough for it even at 4k.

ahmadmob

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:06 am

Does using "high performance power mode" in NVIDIA settings help? It might be that the driver is frequently switching between different (low) power states. That may cause stuttering.

A new NVIDIA driver is available today. Try that as well.

I see your TV is 120fps. There have been a few reports of issues with 60fps video on high refreshrate screens before. But none of the developers have such screen to reproduce. Does it have a 60Hz mode that you could try?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ahmadmob Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:12 am

Setting power management mode to "Prefer maximum performance" on the MPC profile in the Nvidia Control Panel fixed it!!!
I love you Smile

and ya I tried setting the screen to 60FPS but that didn't help.
Thanks again for the help.

ahmadmob

Back to top Go down

Post by ahmadmob Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:17 am

So it must be the new Nvidia drivers (since 52x.xx) that caused this because I don't remember having this issue before.
I do think Nvidia should give some care to the MPC profile to be honest as V-Sync is necessary and now this power management thingy!

ahmadmob

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:26 am

The last few drivers have a bug that gives high "DPC latency" in some cases on 30xx and 40xx cards. That can be a cause of stuttering and audio issues such as crackling and dropouts.

You could try an older driver from a few months ago.

Reddit is a good source of info for issues with drivers:
https://old.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/12qmne7/game_ready_driver_53168_faqdiscussion/

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ahmadmob Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:50 am

Thanks for the info, I just tried the driver that came out today and same issue, still have to use prefer maximum performance. But I am fine with this as it only uses a bit more power while MPC is opened and gets back to normal when I close it.
Pretty sure an older driver from a few months ago would fix this as like I said I don't remember having this issue before but I need the new drivers for the new games that requires them like TLoU Very Happy

ahmadmob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum