Dolby Vision - problematic?

3 posters

Go down

Dolby Vision - problematic? Empty Dolby Vision - problematic?

Post by fleggett Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:39 am

I've read a few threads in here that referenced DoVi in reference to madVR and how it's not supported.  However, I'm not trying to use madVR (at least, I don't want to if I don't have to).

I recently installed a spare 1050 Ti to pair with a pretty new Samsung display with all the whiz-bang HDR trickery.  All HDR settings in Windows 10 are on.  I've confirmed that HDR is working within MPC-HC by playing several movies encoded in DoVi (at least, the filenames indicate they're in DoVi).  K-Lite is the latest along with the latest nVidia driver.

Something weird just happened, though.  A file came down the pipe that has the telltale pink hue indicating no-go on the HDR (I don't know how specific I can get in here, so I'll just say it's a brand-new TV series).  I've gone back-and-forth with files that are encoded in DoVi and it's just this one file I'm having a problem with.

Are there bleeding-edge versions of DoVi that just won't work with a 1050 Ti, even though all the Windows HDR settings are on?  I know this might be beyond the scope of MPC-HC, as this is also happening in VLC, but I don't know where else to turn.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: Dumb question, but when MPC-HC is bitstreaming, is the volume slider not suppose to work?

fleggett

Back to top Go down

Dolby Vision - problematic? Empty Re: Dolby Vision - problematic?

Post by Admin Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:39 am

Dolby Vision is not supported.

Some files are HDR with DoVi as extra layer on top, those are backwards compatible (and DoVi is ignored). Others are pure DoVi and will give green/purple tint.

When bitsteaming, the receiver is responsible for all audio decoding and processing.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by fleggett Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:20 am

Damn, that's annoying.  I thought I had gotten my HDR woes licked.

So, if DoVi isn't supported at all, how can people play these files, especially if VLC also fails?  Does it not work even with a 4090?  I mean, the files are being posted with just DoVi, so they must be usable to someone.  Are we talking Plex's player or something like PowerDVD?

fleggett

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:47 am

My advice would be to just completely forget about DoVi and stick to downloading normal HDR files.

There are no free players with full support for DoVi. Only mpv has some partial support. And official licensed products might not support mkv rips, but only Bluray and streaming sources. All I can suggest is to try the internal player of your TV.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fleggett Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:18 am

Well, I've excluded files with DV and DoVi in their name in the relevant programs, but I'd still like to know which app can handle these sort of files. And I wouldn't have a clue as to how to play them on my TV's player, other than saving them to a USB stick and sneakernetting the files over.

I'm told I might have some success with mpv and, if that fails, perhaps jellyfin.

Are there any plans to support DoVi stuff within MPC-HC, either soon or not-so-soon, or is that an impossibility?

fleggett

Back to top Go down

Post by fleggett Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:36 am

Well, mpv couldn't handle it, either, so I guess I'll try jellyfin. Ugh, what a pain.

fleggett

Back to top Go down

Post by ahmadmob Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:11 am

I download DoVi files and play them with my internal LG TV player and they play flawless. My LG TV (LG C2) only supports MP4 DoVi files, MKV isn't supported. So download MP4 DoVi files and try to play them with the internal player of your Samsung TV.
There are other ways to play these files, like using minidlna (think it's Linux only) or PleX and stream directly to your internal TV player. But again, only MP4 DoVi are supported for this.

I don't think DoVi was ever supposed to work on Windows, I believe it's a Windows (or even hardware/GPU) limitation so there's nothing that can be done to MPC to support it. Not even games that support it like Mass Effect: Andromeda work correctly on Windows, I tried and got weird colors and green/purple tint like when playing DoVi movies.

ahmadmob

Back to top Go down

Post by fleggett Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:44 am

I don't have an LG, but a Samsung. The problem is I don't have a clue as to how to get the file to the TV, much less where to put it and how to actually play it within whatever Samsung has going for a media player. I know the TV has wifi (which I've connected) as well as an Ethernet port (which I haven't connected), but what happens from there?

There is some DoVi-related stuff on the Microsoft Store, but it's all horribly rated and doesn't seem to work as advertised, even though it's paywalled software. The whole situation reeks of companies deliberately cordoning-off their encoding schemes.

fleggett

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:46 pm

That Dolby Vision plugin in the Windows Store only works on devices that have a special Dolby Vision license. Just a few laptop models have that afaik.

Your TV should be able to play files off an external hardrive or USB stick.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum