problems playing ts files in windows media player 12 in windows 10

2 posters

Go down

problems playing ts files in windows media player 12 in windows 10 Empty problems playing ts files in windows media player 12 in windows 10

Post by royb Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:16 am

Hello

I have ts files that captured by aver media capture card.
I think that the file encoded at h264 format.

I have K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1745_Mega installed.

Each ts file is half an hour movie and it size is approximately 1.7GB.
When I try to play those files with windows media player 12 (Windows 10) it takes about 20 seconds to start playing.
When I am seeking in the movie the play freeze and it takes a lot of time before it keep playing.
It also crashes from time to time and display various error messages (low memory / format not supported).
The Lav tray icon does not appear while playing.

I saw in the forum that someone asked a similar question about seeking and answered to use Coded Tweak Tool and set .ts to disable under Media Foundation.

I try to do it and now the movie start playing immediately without any delay.
The problem is that when I seek the movie freeze and not plays anymore and after a few seconds the windows media player stops like the movie ended.
The Lav tray icon still not appear even after I disable the ts at Coded Tweak Tool under Media Foundation.

I saw someone that advise to change the file extension to .trp.
I tried it and had the same behavior, the movie start playing immediately but when seeking it freeze and the player stops after a few seconds (like it reach the end of the movie).
I must mention that when I change the file extension to trp the Lav try icon appears while playing.
I tried to change the setting in the Lav window but nothing helped.
I also try to use ffdshow (set in Codec Tweak Tool as preferred decoder for H.264) (after change to trp extension) but same behavior repeats.

I can play those files in MPC-HC with no problems. The file start playing immediately and there are no seeking problems.
I also tried using Graph Studio Next to play those files. It plays without any problems using 'ffdshow Video Decoder' or 'LAV Video Decoder', the one that defined as preferred decoder for H.264 at Codec Tweak Tool.

Is there any way to make windows media player play the file well?

any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Roy

i.e.
windows media player plays those files without any problem at windows 7.

royb

Back to top Go down

problems playing ts files in windows media player 12 in windows 10 Empty Re: problems playing ts files in windows media player 12 in windows 10

Post by Admin Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:33 pm

The MPEG-TS format does not have a seek index, so seeking will always be slow.

Remux the files into Matroska container (.mkv) with MkvToolNix.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

problems playing ts files in windows media player 12 in windows 10 Empty Re: problems playing ts files in windows media player 12 in windows 10

Post by royb Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:43 pm

Hi

Thanks for the replay.

Seeking works slow only in windows media player (and only in windows 10). it takes about 14 seconds to seek.

In media player classic it works very fast.
It also works fast at VLC (but buggy).
It also seek very well when I try using Graph Studio Next to play the file.

In windows 7, windows media player seek with 2 seconds delay.

It seems like windows media player at windows 10 not using the codecs right.

Is there any way to make windows media player use the codecs right?

Thanks

royb

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:36 pm

WMP is a terrible player. I do not understand why you want to use it instead of MPC.

WMP uses the crappy codecs from Microsoft. Workaround is to disable Media Foundation and to disable MS decoders if needed. Note that this will cause issues with applications that need Media Foundation.

If you want better seeking, remux to mkv. That takes just a couple seconds per file.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by royb Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:28 am

Hello

Thanks again.

I have a program that plays the recorded files and uses windows media player for it.
In Windows 7 all works well. At windows 10 there are problems mentioned above.

I must mention again that if I change the file extension to trp, windows media player uses Lav codec (or ffdshow codec if define as default codec) but when I try to seek the movie freeze and the player stops after few seconds.

Could it be something related to certain codec settings?

Thanks

royb

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:45 pm

Don't use ffdshow. It is old and inferior to LAV decoders.

It is using LAV Splitter (white) or also LAV Video Decoder (red)?
Does it work properly in GraphStudioNext on Windows 10?

Try renaming to .video. That extension is configured to use LAV Splitter.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum