Media Foundation based players

3 posters

Go down

Media Foundation based players Empty Media Foundation based players

Post by PC User Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:08 pm

Is there a player that is based on Media Foundation and can really be used?

PC User

Back to top Go down

Media Foundation based players Empty Re: Media Foundation based players

Post by Admin Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:29 pm

The players from Microsoft.

MF has no benefit and those players suck.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by zyme Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:45 pm

PC User wrote:Is there a player that is based on Media Foundation and can really be used?

Edge and I believe Chrome has a Chrome://Flags option for using Media Foundation. not really a very good player though... Maybe with a decent extension loaded.
(This might expand to other Chromium based browsers and apps as well).
zyme
zyme

Back to top Go down

Post by zyme Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:00 pm

Admin wrote:The players from Microsoft.

MF has no benefit and those players suck.

Dumb question, but when is Media Foundation used? I've always had a suspicion that it was in UWP apps and were used instead of regular codecs as they've always been unplayable-slow for video (Amazon Prime Video for example). Granted until a couple months ago all my devices had a Fermi GPU and I often used the outdated CUVID LAV decoders...

--[My Devices have been a dual core Ivy Bridge and an unlocked Quad Sandy, Since June I now use a Ryzen 5 Pro 6650u w/iGPU under windows 11 and they seem to run smooth];

--[Though I am weirded out by how GPU-Z claims I don't have OpenCL; and the difficult to replicate, seeming random "fTPM studder issue" that I personally have only ever witnessed while on YouTube, which often will make my screen image freeze or go all black as sound continues to play, I've seemed to occasionally accidentally fixed it and broken it again when switching between HP and AMD's GPU drivers but I think other factors contribute, and I doubt codes or k-lite contributes, especially since MPC-HC and Plex can binge-play for 48 hours no issues, while YT will cause it a couple times a day - much more if I don't reboot. This seems to be a wide-scale issue and not some individual hardware defect though].

zyme
zyme

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:03 pm

Yes, browser and UWP apps also use Media Foundation. But the type of codec is not the cause of your problems. Slow video is likely due to Prime using a video format for which your old GPU does not provide hardware decoding.

One of the reasons why browsers have more problems is because they also use GPU acceleration for rendering the webpages. Turning hardware acceleration off can often help improve stability. You could also try Firefox browser.

For fTPM stutter issues, you should update your motherboard BIOS and also the AMD chipset drivers.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum