Picassa displays .mp4s sideways and small after K-Lite Codec installation

2 posters

Go down

Picassa displays .mp4s sideways and small after K-Lite Codec installation Empty Picassa displays .mp4s sideways and small after K-Lite Codec installation

Post by whyNotPicasa? Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:29 pm

I've used Picasa to view .jpg and .MP4 files for years with no problems, but noticed in January that it wasn't finding and importing all my new .MP4 files. So I installed k-lite codec, version 16.6.5 (full). Next time I fired up Picasa, it began (apparently) re-importing all my .mp4s (there are hundreds of them). Now when I open them in Picasa they are rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise. How can I fix this?

Next problem: I downloaded wzdu53.exe to update to k-lite version 16.8.7. It seemed to be installing the new version but then a window opened with Winzip Driver Updater asking to update 20 other drivers (k-lite is not on this list). I closed that window because I never want to change a bunch of things at the same time - if something goes wrong how do you know which Poodle peed on the rug? But when the Winzip window closed the wzdu53.exe window was gone and the update, apparently, did not "take."

Here is my Codec Tweak Tool Log:

Codec Tweak Tool | Log file | Generated at 2022-03-06 16:06:45

##### System Information #####

CPU name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz
CPU details: 2592 MHz | 4 core(s) | Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3
Memory: 8064 MB
Screen size: 1920x1080 (32bits) (60Hz) (125%)
GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
VendorID: 8086, DeviceID: 1916, SubSys: f8221179
GPU memory: 1024 MB
GPU driver: igdumdim64.dll (Version 27.20.100.9416) (3-24-2021)
Audio device: Realtek High Definition Audio
VendorID: 10ec, DeviceID: 0235, SubSys: 1179f823
Audio driver: RTKVHD64.sys (Version 6.0.1.7885) (7-19-2016)

##### K-Lite Codec Pack #####

KLCP version: 16.6.5
KLCP type: full

Speaker conf: 2.0

MPC renderer: EVR CP
MPC subs: ISR
MPC audio: Internal Audio Renderer
MPC decoder: h264=DXVA2N hevc=DXVA2N vp9=DXVA2N vc1=0 mpeg2=0

##### Decoder Settings #####

LAV Video:
H264=DXVA2CB HEVC=DXVA2CB VP9=DXVA2CB VC1=0 MPEG2=1 MPEG4=1 WMV3=0

LAV Audio:
MP3=1 AC3=1 DTS=1 DTSHD=1 EAC3=1 TRUEHD=1 AAC=1 Vorbis=1 LPCM=1 WMA=0

##### DirectShow Filters (32-bit) #####

(A total of 72 filters, 0 shown, 72 hidden)

##### DirectShow Filters (64-bit) #####

(A total of 72 filters, 0 shown, 72 hidden)

##### ICM Class Manager (32-bit) #####

(A total of 2 filters, 0 shown, 2 hidden)

##### ICM Class Manager (64-bit) #####

(A total of 2 filters, 0 shown, 2 hidden)

##### Default source filters (32-bit) #####

(A total of 56 default source filters, 0 shown, 56 hidden)

##### Default source filters (64-bit) #####

(A total of 56 default source filters, 0 shown, 56 hidden)

##### ACM and VFW Codecs (32-bit) #####

(A total of 14 codecs, 0 shown, 14 hidden)

##### ACM and VFW Codecs (64-bit) #####

(A total of 13 codecs, 0 shown, 13 hidden)

whyNotPicasa?

Back to top Go down

Picassa displays .mp4s sideways and small after K-Lite Codec installation Empty Re: Picassa displays .mp4s sideways and small after K-Lite Codec installation

Post by Admin Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:10 am

That is not an updater for K-Lite. You must have clicked on an advertisement. The name and size of the genuine installer is mentioned on the download page.

Are those MP4 files coming from a phone? Those may be recorded in landscape mode and contain rotation metadata for the player. Picasa probably does not support rotation.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Picassa displays .mp4s sideways and small after K-Lite Codec installation Empty Re: Picassa displays .mp4s sideways and small after K-Lite Codec installation

Post by Admin Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:17 am

There is nothing I can do to help you. Problem is in Picasa, and that is no longer being developed.

You can use the player that is included with K-Lite to play your videos.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:26 am

You can try QuickTime. Picasa can use that.
https://filehippo.com/download_quicktime_alternative/

But only for old videos. It does not support newer ones that use HEVC video codec.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whyNotPicasa? Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:38 am

Admin wrote:That is not an updater for K-Lite. You must have clicked on an advertisement. The name and size of the genuine installer is mentioned on the download page.

Are those MP4 files coming from a phone? Those may be recorded in landscape mode and contain rotation metadata for the player. Picasa probably does not support rotation.

The wzdu53.exe was downloaded from the Codec Tweak Tool. I'll look elsewhere as you suggested.

Yes, the .mp4s are created on an Android phone. But Picasa rotated them correctly until the K-Lite codec was installed. The same .mp4s that Picasa used to display correctly now are not rotated correctly. The .mp4 files and their metadata has not changed, and Picasa has not changed. So something about how the codec passes rotation instructions must have changed in a way that Picasa does not understand.

In trying to solve one problem I created another. Not sure I want to, but if I uninstall K-Lite will things revert to the way they were? Is there a way to determine what programs Picasa was using to display .mp4s prior to K-Lite?

Thank you

whyNotPicasa?

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:49 pm

Codec Tweak Tool links to a website. Not to such a download. It is not the real update installer.

Simply uninstall and test if Picasa is still able to open your MP4 files.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum