Issue with Preview on Seek Bar stop working after video has been playing a while

2 posters

Go down

Issue with Preview on Seek Bar stop working after video has been playing a while Empty Issue with Preview on Seek Bar stop working after video has been playing a while

Post by ilnot1 Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:57 pm

Hello,

I find the preview very useful but over the last 3 months or so it has stopped working reliably. I'm on Win10 20H2 (latest updates). I have Nvidia 1060 3GB, AMD 3900X, 32 GB RAM. & 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus. I'm using the latest AMD Chipset drivers and Ryzen High Performance power profile. I have had the system almost 2 years and preview worked perfectly ever since it was introduced. I can't pinpoint any particular change to when it started. I've tried updating to the latest GPU drivers a couple of times with no change. I even went back to older versions of codec packs but nothing works. According to the task manager my RAM is never more the 3/4 full, often around 60%.

What happens is that when most videos have been playing for a while, 30-40 minutes or maybe an hour and half, the preview window will show but just a black rectangle with the animated outline. If I close and re-open the file it will show the preview correctly at any point in the timeline. While I have encountered some files, x265 HDR 4K, where the preview doesn't ever work, those are rare. I'm looking for any tips or advice to restore this function.

Thanks

ilnot1

Back to top Go down

Issue with Preview on Seek Bar stop working after video has been playing a while Empty Re: Issue with Preview on Seek Bar stop working after video has been playing a while

Post by Admin Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:37 pm

Seek preview should also work x265 HDR 4K, only limitation is that it doesn't do any HDR tonemapping, so colors will be a bit wrong. Generating the preview images will of course be slower for 4K files. Preview doesn't use hardware acceleration to avoid interfering with normal playback. Should not be an issue with your CPU.

I don't know why the black preview occurs after long period of preview inactivity. Maybe an issue with insufficient graphics memory, as you only have 3GB there.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Issue with Preview on Seek Bar stop working after video has been playing a while Empty Re: Issue with Preview on Seek Bar stop working after video has been playing a while

Post by ilnot1 Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:07 pm

Thanks for the reply. With most x265 HDR 4K content I do see the preview with the muted colors. There was one recently where I couldn't get it to show at all, the release of the great documentary 'The Rescue'.

I've had this same GPU for over 4 years, if there's been a change it would have to be how software is using the graphics memory. Even so, it should still appear even if it takes longer to flush and generate.

ilnot1

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:30 pm

I don't know why it happens, so right now I don't have a solution for you.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum