ViewSonic Elite Display Controller tries to install K-Lite Codec Pack? What is going on?!

2 posters

Go down

ViewSonic Elite Display Controller tries to install K-Lite Codec Pack? What is going on?! Empty ViewSonic Elite Display Controller tries to install K-Lite Codec Pack? What is going on?!

Post by miken Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:07 pm

Hello,

sorry for the wall of text but I'm currently troubleshooting a very weird issue and have no idea what is going on....

Some days ago I've bought a new monitor (ViewSonic XG270QG). It has some fancy RGB-LEDs which you can tweak with a software called "Elite Display Controller" (can be downloaded here https://www.viewsonic.com/elite/display-controller/).
During installation suddenly a message appeared asking me if I want to install K-Lite Codec Pack 15.4.0 Basic since a newer version was found online....
I thought.... hm weird... I do have K-Lite installed (using it since many years) but it should be a newer version (15.5.1) and also I use the Full Pack not the Basic one. Also weird that the auto update notification pops up at the very moment I want to install another software.
So I ignored it and clicked cancel (or something like that).

Unfortunately it seems like the Elite Display Controller was not installed successfully since some menu items were missing.
So: uninstall --> reboot --> install again --> again pop-up from K-Lite Codec Pack 15.4.0 Basic....

So I thought.... maybe some incompatibility with my installed version of K-Lite. So I uninstalled the Elite Display Controller, backed-up my K-Lite config, uninstalled K-Lite, removed registry-stuff and so on.
Restarted PC --> started the installation of Elite Display Controller --> boom --> again pop-up from K-Lite Codec Pack 15.4.0 Basic....

First I thought that maybe somewhere inside "\AppData\Local\Temp" or so an old K-Lite installer was lying around and somehow the installation script of the shitty ViewSonic installer is faulty, finds the K-Lite installer and executes it...
But it actually looks like "K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1540_Basic.exe" is bundled!  Shocked  scratch At least I think it is because I can find it under "C:\Program Files (x86)\ViewSonic\Elite Display Controller"...

--> Can you maybe confirm this? (I've tried to extract the installer with 7-Zip but can't find K-Lite inside...)

Currently it looks like the Elite Display Controller software is completely broken on my end because it immediately crashes when I try to start it (Exception code: 0xc0000409).
I'm now trying to confirm if this issue has anything to do with my older K-Lite installation. Maybe I didn't manage to completely remove it and it still somehow fucks up the Elite Display Controller installation.

--> Are there maybe some other locations I could check after uninstallation of K-Lite? Maybe some settings/config/reg-keys are still lying around somewhere and do not get removed.... I have no idea...

If you have also no clue, I guess I will ask ViewSonic support (or I simply ignore Elite Display Controller because I will never uninstall K-Lite for it!).

miken

Back to top Go down

ViewSonic Elite Display Controller tries to install K-Lite Codec Pack? What is going on?! Empty Re: ViewSonic Elite Display Controller tries to install K-Lite Codec Pack? What is going on?!

Post by Admin Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:28 pm

Yes, it is possible that they are trying to install the codec pack. You will have to ask them to improve their installation process to detect if it is already installed.

The uninstaller removes everything. Maybe it is crashing because it depends on K-Lite and you have now uninstalled it. Try installing latest version of K-Lite.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum