Codec Guide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Understanding how codec works.

Go down

Understanding how codec works. Empty Understanding how codec works.

Post by Spykel on Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:42 am

Hello!

I'm new in the codification world, and I think that after reading a lot of information, I need some clarifications.

Let me explain my doubts:

Current iPhones, when you record on 1080 30fps, it creates a .mov (container) with h264 (codec). I have tried to record a static video of 1 minute, and then another video of 1 minute but with movement.

I thought, that the second one would be heaver (in size terms) than the first one, but to my surprise, both videos have the same size...

Also, I thought the second one would have more keyframes (since the first one, can create more predictive frames because all is the same)... But they both have the same amount of I-frames (and same GOP).

Why happens this? The iPhone's encoder, does not change in every situation?

Sincerely,
Spykel

Spykel

Back to top Go down

Understanding how codec works. Empty Re: Understanding how codec works.

Post by Admin on Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:01 pm

It uses a hardware based encoder, which are usually rather limited in configuration and complexity compared to a software based encoder. But more importantly, encoding is done in realtime, so it can't analyze the video first to potentially optimize parameters.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Spykel on Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:31 pm

First of all, thanks for answer.

I have been looking a little bit about "hardware-based encoder" and "software-based encoder".

Taking in account what you have said, it means that is normal to not get "any" difference between a video where every frame is the same.. and a video with a lot of movement.

So if I have understood it well.. If you want to get good results in this case.. You should record it without any kind of compression, and then add "manually" a software-based encoded.

Sincerely,
Spykel

Spykel

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:50 pm

A video with less movement theoretically requires less bits to encode given a certain quality as target. But it is possible that the encoder uses a constant bitrate. In that case the video with less movement can have better visual quality.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum