K-Lite Codec Pack as a True Successor to VLC

4 posters

Go down

K-Lite Codec Pack as a True Successor to VLC Empty K-Lite Codec Pack as a True Successor to VLC

Post by bmn2 Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:26 pm

K-Lite Codec Pack (including MPC-HC) has the great potential to become the de facto video program for all Windows users, like VLC is. But despite the changelog that is as long as a vehicle manual, it is lacking some vital aspects that give it that user-friendly edge: It has one of the oldest front interfaces in the category that would even make Windows XP blush. And no 4K support?* In what is supposed to be the cutting edge media player that supports HDR better than Windows itself does? It is tough to use and recommend this program to computer plebians when you have to switch to VLC just to play 4K content.

Myself and many others in this community want to see this program succeed. It deserves to. It is heaps better than Windows Media Player and VLC in many ways, and it is clearly gunning for those who seek a top quality experience. But until some of these issues are fixed, it is just another regular competing media player standard that cannot rise above the rest.

*On a fresh installation, K-Lite cannot play 4K content. And do not say you have to go into the options and tweak twenty settings. If you get into a car and have to spend five minutes tweaking the engine before you can start driving, it is not a good car.

bmn2

Back to top Go down

K-Lite Codec Pack as a True Successor to VLC Empty Re: K-Lite Codec Pack as a True Successor to VLC

Post by Admin Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:03 pm

MPC-HC is not a successor to VLC. It is just one of the many other players.

The simple interface is one of the reasons why many people like MPC-HC. It isn't going to change, so if you don't like it there are plenty of other players that you can use. The interface of VLC is more ugly in my opinion.

4K works out-of-the-box. It is only HDR that requires a single change. All that is needed is to select madVR as the video renderer. That can be done in the K-Lite installer or through the settings of MPC-HC. It will give better quality than VLC.

The plan is to make madVR the default on compatible systems in the future. K-Lite is used on a large variety of systems, including old computers and systems with low powered graphics. So it isn't as trivial as you may think.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

K-Lite Codec Pack as a True Successor to VLC Empty Re: K-Lite Codec Pack as a True Successor to VLC

Post by notcyf Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:35 pm

KCP always has the latest codecs will latest upstream libavcodec/format code. VLC sometimes take months or even years to catch-up to LAV. Also VLC's renderer and GUI isn't as efficient as MPC-HC's. As a result, MPC-HC+LAV will usually give you far better performance when decoding from CPU. It also plays anything you throw at it. No reason to not use KCP on Windows machines. The only drawback MPC-HC has is it's slightly subpar subtitle rendering and sometimes has font and size issues, but there are plugins for that.

notcyf

Back to top Go down

Post by StardustNightwind Sat May 18, 2019 7:09 pm

Yes. 4K works out-of-the-box. I use my CPU to decode and I use MPC-HC+LAV+MadVR (select during setup). 4K at 60 FPS decoding works flawlessly. I can comfirm that and I am a long-time K-Lite user.

StardustNightwind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum