Mp3 files basic tag information is not showing in windows explorer...Pls help!!!

5 posters

Go down

Mp3 files basic tag information is not showing in windows explorer...Pls help!!! Empty Mp3 files basic tag information is not showing in windows explorer...Pls help!!!

Post by josephkarthic Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:55 pm

Hello,

The basic mp3 file information such as bitrate, length, title, album, artist, etc are not shown when you click a mp3 file in explorer...Ive been using Klite codec since 2003 I believe, Earlier Ive never noticed this issue with previous klite versions but Recently Im not able to see any tags for any mp3 file...I have more than 10,000 mp3 files which all have tags on them...only the recent versions of klite is not showing the information...

If i install a plugin called "Audioshell" then everything is displayed but that extension crashes the explorer frequently so I dont want to use that...

Ive tried sfc /scannow ... no issues

Could someone pls check if you were able to see those tags and help me on this issue ?

josephkarthic

Back to top Go down

Mp3 files basic tag information is not showing in windows explorer...Pls help!!! Empty Re: Mp3 files basic tag information is not showing in windows explorer...Pls help!!!

Post by Admin Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:29 am

The properties of MP3 are actually already handled by Windows itself. The codec pack doesn't normally need to add that functionality.

Which version of Windows do you use? I should be able to make a registry script for you to fix this. I suspect some registry keys are missing.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Mp3 files basic tag information is not showing in windows explorer...Pls help!!! Empty Re: Mp3 files basic tag information is not showing in windows explorer...Pls help!!!

Post by Admin Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:41 am

This should do it:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.mp3]
"InfoTip"="prop:System.ItemType;System.Size;System.Music.Artist;System.Media.Duration;System.OfflineAvailability"
"ExtendedTileInfo"="prop:System.ItemType;System.Size;System.Music.Artist;System.Media.Duration;System.OfflineAvailability"
"FullDetails"="prop:System.PropGroup.Description;System.Title;System.Media.SubTitle;System.Rating;System.Comment;System.PropGroup.Media;System.Music.Artist;System.Music.AlbumArtist;System.Music.AlbumTitle;System.Media.Year;System.Music.TrackNumber;System.Music.Genre;System.Media.Duration;System.PropGroup.Audio;System.Audio.EncodingBitrate;System.PropGroup.Origin;System.Media.Publisher;System.Media.EncodedBy;System.Media.AuthorUrl;System.Copyright;System.PropGroup.Content;System.ParentalRatingReason;System.Music.Composer;System.Music.Conductor;System.Music.ContentGroupDescription;System.Music.Mood;System.Music.PartOfSet;System.Music.InitialKey;System.Music.BeatsPerMinute;System.DRM.IsProtected;System.Music.IsCompilation;System.PropGroup.FileSystem;System.ItemNameDisplay;System.ItemType;System.ItemFolderPathDisplay;System.DateCreated;System.DateModified;System.Size;System.FileAttributes;System.OfflineAvailability;System.OfflineStatus;System.SharedWith;System.FileOwner;System.ComputerName"
"PreviewDetails"="prop:System.Music.Artist;System.Music.AlbumTitle;System.Music.Genre;*System.Media.Duration;System.Rating;System.Media.Year;*System.Size;System.Music.TrackNumber;System.Music.AlbumArtist;System.Title;*System.Audio.EncodingBitrate;*System.DateModified;*System.OfflineAvailability;*System.OfflineStatus;*System.DateCreated;*System.SharedWith"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.mp3]
@="{C120DE80-FDE4-49f5-A713-E902EF062B8A}"

Last edited by Admin on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by josephkarthic Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:22 am

Wow this is awesome, Ive been searching all over the net for solution and your answer fixed it without installing anything for basic windows thing...

Im using windows 7 64bit service pack 1(build 7601)... Maybe some updates broke it or I dont know...

Anyways thankyou so much for the help...appreciate it... Smile

josephkarthic

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:21 pm

I have added two additional values above. Should be fully complete now.

Plugins like AudioShell can mess with these values and fail to restore them to the original when uninstalling.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by josephkarthic Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:50 pm

Admin wrote:I have added two additional values above. Should be fully complete now.

Plugins like AudioShell can mess with these values and fail to restore them to the original when uninstalling.

Thankyou Ive actually uninstalled Audioshell before running your fix...

But May i know what are the additional two values which you added?

your first script worked flawlessly...Should i overwrite it with the second one?

josephkarthic

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:43 pm

Yes, you can just overwrite it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NomarCub Thu May 03, 2018 11:32 pm

I've tried everything mentioned in this thread, only Audioshell worked.
But Audioshell itself is buggy, and has the side effect of occasionally massively slowing down explorer.

Are there any fixes for Audioshell, or the registry code above?

NomarCub

Back to top Go down

Post by josephkarthic Thu May 03, 2018 11:42 pm

That registry code is the fix... Are you saving them with .reg file and restarting the pc? That worked for me after restarting..

josephkarthic

Back to top Go down

Post by NomarCub Thu May 03, 2018 11:52 pm

josephkarthic wrote:That registry code is the fix... Are you saving them with .reg file and restarting the pc? That worked for me after restarting..
That's exactly what I did. It even said it was successful, but had no actual effect. The files do have the metadata, but explorer doesn't show anything. Only Audioshell worked, but also brought more annoying problems with it. Neither the reg file nor "sfc /scannow" did anything (with restarting each time).

NomarCub

Back to top Go down

Post by josephkarthic Fri May 04, 2018 12:07 am

Ok if you see the above posts the admin has modified it for my win7 64bit.. Maybe yours is different and that's why it didn't work? I'm sure the admin has fix for your issue.. Let's wait for his reply.... Yes the audioshell is bad.. It crashes the explorer..

josephkarthic

Back to top Go down

Post by NomarCub Fri May 04, 2018 12:13 am

josephkarthic wrote:Ok if you see the above posts the admin has modified it for my win7 64bit.. Maybe yours is different and that's why it didn't work? I'm sure the admin has fix for your issue.. Let's wait for his reply.... Yes the audioshell is bad.. It crashes the explorer..

Thanks for the reply anyway!
I have the latest Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit, if that helps in any way. Fresh install after formatting and everything.
I'd be happy with some guide as well, on how I can write my own reg-file. I have music in different formats, and the code posted looks .mp3-specific.

NomarCub

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat May 05, 2018 5:59 pm

Do you perhaps have a European "N" version of Windows? That doesn't include any media features (like Windows Media Player) by default. In that case you need to install the "Media Feature Pack" to get the audio file properties shell extension.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NomarCub Sat May 05, 2018 8:18 pm

I do have that version, and I have installed the feature pack before even posting.

NomarCub

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun May 06, 2018 6:18 pm

Weird. That should be enough.

These are the keys for Win10:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.mp3]
@="{C120DE80-FDE4-49f5-A713-E902EF062B8A}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\SystemPropertyHandlers]
".mp3"="{C120DE80-FDE4-49f5-A713-E902EF062B8A}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.mp3]
"ExtendedTileInfo"="prop:System.ItemType;System.Size;System.Music.Artist;System.Media.Duration;System.OfflineAvailability"
"FullDetails"="prop:System.PropGroup.Description;System.Title;System.Media.SubTitle;System.Rating;System.Comment;System.PropGroup.Media;System.Music.Artist;System.Music.AlbumArtist;System.Music.AlbumTitle;System.Media.Year;System.Music.TrackNumber;System.Music.Genre;System.Media.Duration;System.PropGroup.Audio;System.Audio.EncodingBitrate;System.PropGroup.Origin;System.Media.Publisher;System.Media.EncodedBy;System.Media.AuthorUrl;System.Copyright;System.PropGroup.Content;System.ParentalRatingReason;System.Music.Composer;System.Music.Conductor;System.Music.ContentGroupDescription;System.Music.Mood;System.Music.PartOfSet;System.Music.InitialKey;System.Music.BeatsPerMinute;System.DRM.IsProtected;System.Music.IsCompilation;System.PropGroup.FileSystem;System.ItemNameDisplay;System.ItemType;System.ItemFolderPathDisplay;System.DateCreated;System.DateModified;System.Size;System.FileAttributes;System.OfflineAvailability;System.OfflineStatus;System.SharedWith;System.FileOwner;System.ComputerName"
"InfoTip"="prop:System.ItemType;System.Size;System.Music.Artist;System.Media.Duration;System.OfflineAvailability"
"PreviewDetails"="prop:System.Music.Artist;System.Music.AlbumTitle;System.Music.Genre;*System.Media.Duration;System.Rating;System.Media.Year;*System.Size;System.Music.TrackNumber;System.Music.AlbumArtist;System.Title;*System.Audio.EncodingBitrate;*System.DateModified;*System.OfflineAvailability;*System.OfflineStatus;*System.DateCreated;*System.SharedWith"

Do other file formats have working properties?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NomarCub Sun May 06, 2018 10:18 pm

Other sound format properties don't work either, I don't know about properties in general.
I tried this latest fix. It needed more permissions than the last one and took me a while to do, but still doesn't work.

NomarCub

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon May 07, 2018 6:54 pm

The registry fix is only for systems where the property functionality is already present, but broken by another application.

You started with a clean install, so the Media Feature Pack should be enough. Perhaps you also installed the 1803 update? The Media Feature Pack needs to be re-installed as well after big Windows 10 updates. Microsoft has made things very user unfriendly.

This key should exist when the MP3 propertyhandler is installed:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{C120DE80-FDE4-49f5-A713-E902EF062B8A}
And the corresponding system file is %SystemRoot%\System32\mfsrcsnk.dll

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NomarCub Mon May 07, 2018 8:11 pm

I've installed it after the update as well. I don't have the key nor the dll. (Only "mfsrcsnk-migration-replacement.man", and basically nothing in CLSID)

NomarCub

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue May 08, 2018 5:58 pm

I will do an installation in a virtual machine and have a look at it. That will be next week.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun May 13, 2018 10:57 am

I didn't have an ISO for the enterprise version laying around, so I tried the Pro N version. MP3 properties were working here after installing the Media Feature Pack. Be sure to install the correct version because each version of Windows 10 has its own version of the Media Feature Pack.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/mediafeaturepack

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NomarCub Sun May 13, 2018 12:46 pm

This finally did it. The site Google turned up wasn't the one you linked. I've been trying the old version over and over, not realizing I needed to find the right one.

Thank you very much for your time!

NomarCub

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnQ Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:20 am

I have the same problem on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1. When Audioshell is working it's great, but it eventually hangs the Windows Explorer until the PC is rebooted. So I had to uninstall it. I'd like to try the registry fix, but I have one question:

The day after you posted the registry script you posted that "I have added two additional values above. Should be fully complete now." A new script was not posted. Does that mean that the additional values were already in the script?

Thanks.

JohnQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:27 pm

The post was modified to add those values. So what you see above contains everything.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allaruse Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Admin wrote:This should do it...

I joined just to give you a big THANKS!! - and to say that after a few years of having this mp3 tag issue and trying various 'fixes' over the years, yours is the only one that solved it.

Before using your reg fix I exported my original key. Comparing mine to yours I noticed that my original one was missing the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE entry from your reg file (the one beginning with "{C120DE80").

It's fantastic having this functionality back. Thank you so much!

allaruse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum