black screen when taking a screenshot of a video

2 posters

Go down

black screen when taking a screenshot of a video Empty black screen when taking a screenshot of a video

Post by Tiemo Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:46 pm

Hello,
I am not sure, if this really great forum is the right place for this issue. If not, perhaps somebody can point me to another forum. I have again on some customer machines a very seldom issue, which I can't reproduce on my machines (I am a software developer).
My program plays on windows h.264 videos via the windows directShow API. One of the features of my program is, that the user can take screenshots from the video (after having paused it) and save them as a JPG to disc. On some rare windows 10 machines only a black screen results in taking a screenshot from the videos.
Obviously this is related to the screen buffer or the handling of the screen buffer by the video card. I can set the video buffering programatically on and off, but that doesn't changes anything on this issue and even perhaps only is a historical option without any influence on win 10. And here my knowledge of tweaking ends. Years ago on older systems, like XP I already had sometimes this issue and I always could solve it by shutting off the hardware acceleration of the video adapter. But nowadays on Win 10 there isn't anymore this option in the settings of the graphic adapter, so I assume it must be related to any other unknown setting.
Does anybody knows this issue or has an idea, where to look for a tweak?
Thanks for any ideas
Tiemo

Tiemo

Back to top Go down

black screen when taking a screenshot of a video Empty Re: black screen when taking a screenshot of a video

Post by Admin Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:41 pm

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd389570(v=vs.85).aspx

Windows 10 Insider Builds are sometimes extremely buggy.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

black screen when taking a screenshot of a video Empty Re: black screen when taking a screenshot of a video

Post by Tiemo Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:46 pm

Thanks for the MS link. I am developing with LiveCode, which is a scripting language with a runtime engine, so I don't have access to these methods, like in C++.
I am still hoping I'll find any tweak, which can be handled from windows level.
What do you mean with "Insider Builds"?
Tiemo

Tiemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:28 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Insider
So basically Insider Builds are public alpha/beta versions of Windows 10.

There is no 'tweak' to solve this. It could be a bug in the framework that you are using. If it only happens on a small amount of PCs, it could be a bug in Windows or the graphics driver.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiemo Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:55 am

I think I can exclude that those customers have Insider Builds installed. It only happens at a very small amount (<1%) of my customers, so the most likely reason is a bug or incompatibility in the graphics driver on those machines.
Surprisingly this issue doesn't happen with an older version of the same program, where the video control is based on the Quicktime Player and not on the original Windows DirectShow API. So the incompatibility must be located somewhere between system, graphics driver and the media API. Hard to locate.
Thanks
Tiemo

Tiemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum