Codec Guide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

K‐Lite Codec Pack Doesn’t Support Unicode?

Go down

K‐Lite Codec Pack Doesn’t Support Unicode? Empty K‐Lite Codec Pack Doesn’t Support Unicode?

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:29 am

If, during installation of K‐Lite Mega Codec Pack, I change the hyphen‐minus (U+002D) character to a (more technically-correct) hyphen (U+2010) character, at the end of installation the K‐Lite Mega Codec Pack installer will indicate that three LAV codecs that it had just installed are missing and prompt me with a suggestion to delete references to the missing files. Furthermore, playback of videos will fail with a mention of graph data being missing. I’m guessing your software is not Unicode‐compliant.

Then, if I attempt to uninstall and reinstall K‐Lite Mega Codec Pack without changing the hyphens, the installer will tell me that files are in use and that a reboot is needed to complete installation at the end of the installation process (after I’ve customized installation options), but then no installation occurs after reboot. So I have to start the whole installation process all over again (re‐customizing the installation options).

Edit: I was using Windows 10, 64‐Bit.

Please fix.

Back to top Go down

K‐Lite Codec Pack Doesn’t Support Unicode? Empty Re: K‐Lite Codec Pack Doesn’t Support Unicode?

Post by notcyf on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:35 am

Patrick Dark wrote:If, during installation of K‐Lite Mega Codec Pack, I change the hyphen‐minus (U+002D) character to a (more technically-correct) hyphen (U+2010) character, at the end of installation the K‐Lite Mega Codec Pack installer will indicate that three LAV codecs that it had just installed are missing and prompt me with a suggestion to delete references to the missing files. Furthermore, playback of videos will fail with a mention of graph data being missing. I’m guessing your software is not Unicode‐compliant.

Then, if I attempt to uninstall and reinstall K‐Lite Mega Codec Pack without changing the hyphens, the installer will tell me that files are in use and that a reboot is needed to complete installation at the end of the installation process (after I’ve customized installation options), but then no installation occurs after reboot. So I have to start the whole installation process all over again (re‐customizing the installation options).

Please fix.

The installer is probably not Unicode compliant, the software itself probably is though.

notcyf

Back to top Go down

K‐Lite Codec Pack Doesn’t Support Unicode? Empty Re: K‐Lite Codec Pack Doesn’t Support Unicode?

Post by notcyf on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:35 am

Patrick Dark wrote:If, during installation of K‐Lite Mega Codec Pack, I change the hyphen‐minus (U+002D) character to a (more technically-correct) hyphen (U+2010) character, at the end of installation the K‐Lite Mega Codec Pack installer will indicate that three LAV codecs that it had just installed are missing and prompt me with a suggestion to delete references to the missing files. Furthermore, playback of videos will fail with a mention of graph data being missing. I’m guessing your software is not Unicode‐compliant.

Please fix.

The installer is probably not Unicode compliant, the software itself probably is though.

notcyf

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:00 pm

I can reproduce the problem. The installer should support Unicode, so it is a bug somewhere. Investigating now.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:27 pm

regsvr32.exe seems to replace the hyphen with a regular dash. This causes the file paths in the Registry to be different from the actual install path. I wonder why it does that, and if there are more such characters.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:27 pm

Admin wrote:regsvr32.exe seems to replace the hyphen with a regular dash. This causes the file paths in the Registry to be different from the actual install path. I wonder why it does that, and if there are more such  characters.
It’s possible that regsvr32.exe is performing Unicode normalization along the lines of JavaScript’s String.prototype.normalize("NFKD") method; the formal Unicode decomposition of the hyphen (U+2010) character is the hyphen‐minus (U+002D) character.

One could test the theory by seeing if characters like Latin capital letter A with macron (“Ā”) (U+0100) decompose into the Latin capital letter A (U+0041) and combining macron (U+0304) characters—what Unicode calls a “canonical” decomposition—or the horizontal ellipsis (…) (U+2026) character decomposes into three full stop (.) (U+002D) characters—a “compat” decomposition like the hyphen case.

Back to top Go down

Post by notcyf on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Patrick Dark wrote:
Admin wrote:regsvr32.exe seems to replace the hyphen with a regular dash. This causes the file paths in the Registry to be different from the actual install path. I wonder why it does that, and if there are more such  characters.
It’s possible that regsvr32.exe is performing Unicode normalization along the lines of JavaScript’s String.prototype.normalize("NFKD") method; the formal Unicode decomposition of the hyphen (U+2010) character is the hyphen‐minus (U+002D) character.

One could test the theory by seeing if characters like Latin capital letter A with macron (“Ā”) (U+0100) decompose into the Latin capital letter A (U+0041) and combining macron (U+0304) characters—what Unicode calls a “canonical” decomposition—or the horizontal ellipsis (…) (U+2026) character decomposes into three full stop (.) (U+002D) characters—a “compat” decomposition like the hyphen case.

normaliz.dll(C:/Windows/System32) does this, and is used by explorer.exe, not sure about regsvr32.exe

notcyf

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:33 pm

I have checked and A with macron is also changed, so this string normalization is being performed. This means I will have to disallow using such characters.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:43 am

Admin wrote:I have checked and A with macron is also changed, so this string normalization is being performed. This means I will have to disallow using such characters.
If it helps, there’s a *.txt file that could be parsed at https://unicode.org/Public/UCD/latest/ucd/DerivedNormalizationProps.txt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum