Can MPC play commercial 3D bluray on HTPC?

2 posters

Go down

Can MPC play commercial 3D bluray on HTPC? Empty Can MPC play commercial 3D bluray on HTPC?

Post by dpluigi Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi,

I have been using K-Lite codec pack and Media Player Classic for years and just joined the forum.  I just build a custom HomeTheater PC (HTPC) and included a Bluray drive ( LG Electronics 14x SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter without Software, Black (WH14NS40)).  

The questions is can I use MPC to playblack physical Bluray disks I own.  Similarly is the feature working for 3D movie files?

Note that I have been using my Panasonic DMP-BDT210 3D Blu-ray DVD Player but I am looking to phase it out and only rely on my HTPC from streaming and playback.

On a side note my HTPC is based on the Intel I7-7700K, DDR4-3000 32GB ram,  Windows 10 Pro (64bit), LG Bluray (WH14NS40) and for now I am only using the integrated intel graphic card HD 630, which I'll update later with a discreet video card when I change my 1080p 120Hz Visio 3d to a 4K 3d TV.

Thank you,
D

Last edited by dpluigi on Mon May 01, 2017 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

dpluigi

Back to top Go down

Can MPC play commercial 3D bluray on HTPC? Empty Re: Can MPC play commercial 3D bluray on HTPC?

Post by Admin Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Yes, that is possible!

Blurays use content protection, so you need to use a program like AnyDVD HD or Passkey Lite to remove that. These programs works in realtime, so you can just put the disc in the drive to play with MPC, if the program is running in the background.

MPC does not support Bluray menus. It will automatically play the longest video on the disc (which is usually the main movie). You can select other videos using the Navigate menu in MPC.

To play 3D videos with MPC you need to do two extra things:
1) Install this plugin for H.264 MVC video
http://codecguide.com/download_other.htm#libmfxsw
2) Select MadVR as video renderer in MPC options

Your iGPU is powerful enough for video playback. You don't need a discreet one, unless you play to use heavy scaling settings in MadVR.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Can MPC play commercial 3D bluray on HTPC? Empty Re: Can MPC play commercial 3D bluray on HTPC?

Post by dpluigi Mon May 01, 2017 4:16 pm

This is good news, thank you for your quick reply.  

Update:
My HTPC was finalized this weekend and I had a go at testing this feature this evening.  The plug in was installed and the Option/Playback/Output DirectShow Video was set to MadVR. It did not work, and then I realize I had forgotten about AnyDVD and Passkey Lite. Are these legal for me to use to play back my own physical DVD, Bluray disks here in the US?
Are the free versions allowing me to proceed with playback of DVD, Bluray including 3D bluray and safe to use (malware, virus, spamware -wise)?

If I need to purchase one of them, then PowerDVD price difference wouldn't be as much. Digital backup is attractive but not asimportant as playback option of physical media at this point.

By the way I upgraded to LG Bluray (WH16NS40) internal drive, about the same price than the x14 Bluray write speed.  It is noisy when a data drive (for example install CD for my motherboard), but was spinning smoothly and quieter with an audio CD, is this normal of this type or Brand/Model of drive or is this specific drive defective.  I tried the x14 drive LG Bluray (WH14NS40) and it has similar noisy spinning (maybe slightly less but pronounced non the less), reminiscent of old floppy disk seeking rapidly data on different sectors.

Thank you for your inputs,
D

Last edited by dpluigi on Tue May 02, 2017 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update after testing the recommended approach)

dpluigi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum