Manually Restore Settings from Old Hard Drive?

2 posters

Go down

Manually Restore Settings from Old Hard Drive? Empty Manually Restore Settings from Old Hard Drive?

Post by Xooxer Mon May 23, 2016 8:41 pm

I recently had a major computer snafu. I was able to copy nearly all the contents of my old file system to an external hard drive, but after reinstalling the K-Lite Mega pack and VLC, I notice my videos look very different during playpack. I see now I should have created a backup with the Codec Tweak tool, but having already formatted and reinstalled everything from scratch, I'm sort of stuck for an easy way to restore my previous configurations and settings regarding the various codecs I had before the crash.

Is it possible to manually restore my environment back to it's previous state without a Codec Tweak tool backup? Where can I find the settings files, and can I simply replace the new installation with them? What's the process that Codec Tweak uses to accomplish this, and can I do it manually? Any and all info would be extremely helpful! Thanks in advance. Smile

~X

Xooxer

Back to top Go down

Manually Restore Settings from Old Hard Drive? Empty Re: Manually Restore Settings from Old Hard Drive?

Post by Admin Mon May 23, 2016 9:57 pm

Did you actually customize any settings?

VLC does not use anything from the codec pack. It uses its own private codecs. So if things look different it is probably because of your graphics driver settings. Which GPU do you have?

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Manually Restore Settings from Old Hard Drive? Empty Re: Manually Restore Settings from Old Hard Drive?

Post by Xooxer Mon May 23, 2016 11:59 pm

Really? Okay, well I have an ancient Dell Inspiron e1505 laptop with an onboard ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 chip. I just now updated the driver and Catalyst Control Center to the latest possible versions I could find. Still no change. I migrated all of my VLC settings already, so as far as I can tell, it should be identical to my previous environment, but the video is washed out and there's a noticeable green line on the bottom of the video in fullscreen mode. Any ideas?

My environment right now:

ATI Display Driver version: 8.591.0.0
Catalyst version: 09.3
DirectX version 9.0c 4.09.0000.0904
Direct3D version: 6.14.10.0647
OpenGL version: 6.14.10.8543
VLC version: 2.2.3 Weatherwax

The file's video info according to VLC:

file type: Matroska
codec: H264 MPEG-4 AVC (part 10)(avc1)
resolution: 720x418
Display resolution: 720x404
Frame Rate: 23.976125
Decoded Format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV ( possible culprit? ) <_<

~X

Last edited by Xooxer on Tue May 24, 2016 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Xooxer

Back to top Go down

Post by Xooxer Tue May 24, 2016 12:06 am

Well, perhaps not all of my settings migrated. I just unchecked a Video option in VLC 'Use hardware YUV -> RGB conversions' (duh) and it got rid of the green line and the contrast seems about right again. Razz I'll take my VLC problems to VLC next time. Sorry. I do use your codecs when encoding or reencoding videos, but I haven't had the opportunity to do that in some time. Thanks.

Xooxer

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue May 24, 2016 1:22 pm

In the ATI control panel you can find a few options that I recommend disabling too. That can help improve both quality and performance.

They are named (something like): Dynamic contrast, edge enhancement, noise reduction, fleshtone enhancement.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum