MadVR issues with certain videos starting with 10.2.0

4 posters

Go down

MadVR issues with certain videos starting with 10.2.0 Empty MadVR issues with certain videos starting with 10.2.0

Post by amphiprion Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:19 am

I didn't see this posted anywhere, but I have noted since 10.2.0 that madVR doesn't like certain files. I am not sure what exact issues the videos have in common, to be honest, since I deleted one of them thinking it was corrupted. Beyond that, they are both Hi10P files. I have tried using both my settings and default settings in madVR. The behavior goes away when I use a different renderer or revert to 10.1.9 (standard). Since I much prefer madVR, I've simply reverted to the last version for the time being. If you need more information, such as mediainfo, clips, etc., just let me know and I would be happy to provide it.

Thanks

amphiprion

Back to top Go down

MadVR issues with certain videos starting with 10.2.0 Empty Re: MadVR issues with certain videos starting with 10.2.0

Post by Admin Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:14 pm

Do you have a filename of a file that triggers the problem? Once the developer of LAV Filters has a sample file, he is usually able to quickly fix a problem.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

MadVR issues with certain videos starting with 10.2.0 Empty Re: MadVR issues with certain videos starting with 10.2.0

Post by amphiprion Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:28 am

[Commie] Berserk - Golden Age Chapter II - The Capture of Doldrey [BD 1080p AAC] [F448C168]

This is the only example I have left, unfortunately. It still will not play as of 10.2.2.

Edit: found one more file. It was by the same encoding group as the above--something doesn't like their encodes as of 10.2.0.

amphiprion

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:17 pm

It plays without problems here with madVR. Both with LAV Video decoder and ffdshow. I also tried Haali splitter instead of LAV Splitter.

What symptoms do you have?
Which graphics card and driver?

Try this test version of madVR, maybe it helps:
http://madshi.net/madVRanotherTestBuild2.rar

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ampaz Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:42 pm

ampaz

Back to top Go down

Post by amphiprion Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:00 pm

Symptoms are just a black screen. MPC says "playing" but the progress indicator doesn't move. No CPU usage indicating playback, decoding, etc.

Using GTX 770 4GB factory overclock (Gigabyte), no subsequent overclock with latest driver 331.82. All of this is on Windows 8.1 x64.

amphiprion

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:33 pm

I shall test it on Win 8.1. Could be an issue specific to that.

Have you tried the test build I linked to?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amphiprion Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:15 pm

Tried the test build and I get the same issue with it as well. Note that I installed 10.2.0 without madVR, updated to 10.2.2 and then installed the test build.

amphiprion

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:56 pm

Tried it on a machine with Windows 8.1 and no problems there either. Although, it doesn't have a NVIDIA GPU, in case that might be related.

The only relevant component that was updated recently is LAV Video decoder. madVR is still the exact same version. Could you test if it makes any difference when you use ffdshow as video decoder for H.264?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amphiprion Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:14 am

I reinstalled 10.2.0, this time also installing ffdshow along with madVR. ffdshow seems to work just fine when used with madVR. Out of sheer curiosity, I disabled ffdshow's h264 decoding and re-enabled LAV's and, for whatever reason, it worked?! I then looked to re-enable the same custom installation as before using only LAV and everything still worked just fine... In order to completely rule out ffdshow installation, I uninstalled and reinstalled with LAV-only options. The videos in question still working fine. This started aggravating me, so I re-downloaded 10.2.0 standard (which is what I had originally) and updated to 10.2.2. The only changes I made to the install from default was to remove icaros, set LAV as the default for mpeg-ps and turn off internal mpeg-2 decoder in favor of LAV--all of which is what I usually do with the standard pack. This also worked fine with the files in question...

Not sure what is going on now. I can no longer replicate what was going on--something I was originally able to reproduce about a dozen times before. The only change to my knowledge was the installation/uninstallation of 10.2.2 Full, which I didn't try prior to temporarily using ffdshow. I guess I'll consider this solved for the time being since I cannot reproduce the problem anymore. If it crops up again, I will post here.

amphiprion

Back to top Go down

Post by amphiprion Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:33 am

I think I spoke too soon. After a few times, the problem started occurring again. Not sure what is triggering it, but it only occurs when using 10.2.0 and up when using LAV and madVR together.

amphiprion

Back to top Go down

Post by amphiprion Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:06 pm

Did further testing and it seems like it may be connected to the Nvidia driver. The black screen issue occurred when madVR changed display modes and the problem stuck ever since until I uninstalled 10.2.2 and reinstalled 10.1.9. Sometimes I am able to get it working temporarily with 10.2.0 and 10.2.2 (after uninstalling/restart/reinstall) and it then reverts to the black screen at some point later. I have it continually working with any pack sub-10.2.0.

amphiprion

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:13 pm

A re-install means a reset of settings. You could also test if resetting settings with the Codec Tweak Tool works.

Do you have multiple screens? There is a known problem with "Nvidia Surround" feature and some video renderers. You can turn that off in the Nvidia control panel.
madVR also does not (yet) support displaying video on a screen that has been rotated.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amphiprion Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:20 pm

I will try using the tweak tool when the problem starts and see if that makes a difference. I don't know what would be changing during regular use, though. I know the problem still occurs on a new KLCP install when using LAV and madVR--all their respective settings at their defaults.

No, single screen only--a 1080p LCD television.

I looked at the Nvidia control panel for any driver settings that might interfere, but found none that should cause issues. For MPC, everything is set to "let application decide." Nvidia surround is not active from what I saw.

amphiprion

Back to top Go down

Post by amphiprion Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:44 am

&@%! This took me way too much time to figure out:

Okay, so with a 100% default install--no changed options at install nor any customization. Videos play fine. If I install and change/customize settings, then not even a settings reset seems to help. Since i had the day off, I then sat down for a good while trying all the options I normally change one-by-one in a process of elimination. I was able to pretty much entirely narrow it down to DirectVobSub. If I utilize DVS, the videos may occasionally work but largely fail and display the black screen. If I use ISR and madVR+LAV, I get all videos that work 100% of the time. I am able to recreate it reliably simply by toggling that single option. I tried this using both 10.2.0 and 10.2.2 (both standard and full) and I get the same results with both. Keep in mind that it doesn't affect all videos, just those few select ones. I tried toggling some options in DirectVobSub, but none helped short of not using it at all.

amphiprion

Back to top Go down

Post by ampaz Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:57 am

i get the same result with what amphiprion did.
it's indeed dvs problem

ampaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:24 pm

The developers are on it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:26 pm

Problem has been fixed by LAV developer.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amphiprion Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:54 pm

Great! Thanks for the update--will look forward to next release.

amphiprion

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:15 pm

I forgot to mention before, it is not really needed to disable the internal MPEG-2 decoder in MPC-HC. The internal decoders use LAV.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AkiraLeir Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:43 pm

I'm still having black screen (the whole screen, not just the player) issues with 10.2.6 MadVR+MPC-HC setup when skimming through the video. DirectVobSub does not seem to be the problem, as I disabled it. Tried both LAV and Haali as splitter, but no luck so far.

It happens randomly, but more frequently on CPU-intensive videos (1080p/high bitrate), while simpler videos "only" gets stuck (but it keeps "going" on the timer).

Though, unlike the other people above, I'm on an AMD rig. Driver version actually doesn't matter, as it kept giving me black screens when I downgraded/upgraded.

Gonna try to get another MadVR version and test it in the meantime.

@edit
Well, I guess it's MPC-HC's fault... time to snatch an older version.

@edit2
Godf******damnit... didn't work either. I really like(d) MadVR, but I guess I'll HAVE to stick with the peasantly-inferior EVR-CP 'till they fix whatever is wrong with this (formerly-)awesome MadVR+MPC-HC combo.

@edit3
Narrowed it down to MadVR's "quality" settings, following this table:
MadVR issues with certain videos starting with 10.2.0 6xmnRPG

It blacks out on any of those, but it's way more frequent on higher settings/high bitrate videos... And I doubt it's my PC, as it is an AMD FX-8350/16GB RAM/HD 6870 setup. My guess is that MPC-HC is not keeping up with MadVR (or vice versa).

Maybe I am asking to the wrong person for a fix (Admin), but I think you do know a way to send these bug reports to the right people, right?

Last edited by AkiraLeir on Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : last report)

AkiraLeir

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:26 pm

A new version of madVR is available. It is currently being tested by a large group of people. It is not fully stable yet, but most remaining issues are with Intel and nvidia cards. So it might have some useful improvements for you.

Replace files from the codec pack with files from this archive:
http://madshi.net/madVR.zip
Then update with:
http://madshi.net/madVR871b.rar

I recommend using software decoding instead of DXVA hardware acceleration. That should give better performance and less issues with madVR.

If the problem continues, then I could assist you in generating a debug log with madVR that can be send to its developer for analysis.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AkiraLeir Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:20 am

Admin wrote:A new version of madVR is available. It is currently being tested by a large group of people. It is not fully stable yet, but most remaining issues are with Intel and nvidia cards. So it might have some useful improvements for you.

Replace files from the codec pack with files from this archive:
Then update with:
http://madshi.net/madVR871b.rar

I recommend using software decoding instead of DXVA hardware acceleration. That should give better performance and less issues with madVR.

If the problem continues, then I could assist you in generating a debug log with madVR that can be send to its developer for analysis.

Thank you, that did the trick. I'm not experiencing black screens anymore, but there's a little something (or should I say "feature"?) that came along with 871b: If you untick "use random dithering instead of OpenCL error diffusion" in the rendering>trade quality for performance tab it crashes MPC-HC after closing and only plays the sound (all video files). As I don't know what the flying heck is that, I just left it ticked and walked away.

Oh yeah, I've never used DXVA (and probably never will), as I'm drowning on 10Bit video files.

@offtopic
Admin, what is your opinion about h265? It seems to be already dead for me, even before it was completely born (way too slow, encoding-wise. People will probably let it die silently if this keeps up)... Should I give it a few more years to mature?

AkiraLeir

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:46 am

Very latest version (0.87.3) is now available at:

OpenCL related options require recent hardware and drivers. They also don't work yet with nvidia cards. So just avoid those options for now.

The HEVC (aka H.265) format is very new. It needs time to mature. It took several years for H.264 encoders and decoders to evolve and get adopted by a wide audience! Things go a bit quicker now, but it would not surprise me if it takes 2 or 3 years before it becomes a commonly used format. It also depends on how fast hardware vendors start supporting it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum