Toggling fullscreen randomly blacks out video

2 posters

Go down

Toggling fullscreen randomly blacks out video Empty Toggling fullscreen randomly blacks out video

Post by AtomicStryker Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:10 pm

Hey, maybe you have an idea why this might be happening:

Windows 11, Nvidia 4xxx, current drivers, HDR is on in the OS.
MPC-HC is the player, using MPC Video Renderer for the RTX HDR feature [but it happens with RTX HDR off too].
In the renderer properties, DX11 is on, all "use for" options are toggled on.

Happens in basically all video files i play, be the source material HDR or not.
If i tell the player to go fullscreen (e.g. F11 or ALT+ENTER) there is a random chance (like 10-25%) the video inside the player turns black permanently. Audio plays normally.
It can be fixed by restarting MPC-HC. Stopping and starting the video does not help.

More of an annoyance than anything else, but the last several updates of the codec pack didn't fix whatever this is, assuming it even is a bug. Help please? Smile

AtomicStryker

Back to top Go down

Toggling fullscreen randomly blacks out video Empty Re: Toggling fullscreen randomly blacks out video

Post by Admin Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:42 pm

Must be a driver bug. Are you sure it happens with all files, and not just 10bit ones?

You can quickly reload file with Ctrl+E.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Toggling fullscreen randomly blacks out video Empty Re: Toggling fullscreen randomly blacks out video

Post by Admin Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:58 pm

Here is official form for submitting bugs to NVIDIA:
https://forms.gle/kJ9Bqcaicvjb82SdA

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AtomicStryker Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:06 am

Thanks for CTRL-E, that atleast saves me from restarting. It does unblack the screen.

Yes, it happens with decades-old video files on my PC. Is there some or any kind of information i can access from the driver? This makes a poor bug report so far.

EDIT:
I should note, this started around the time RTX HDR and super resolution started to exist in the NV driver.
But i have super resolution off in the NV control panel.

Which reminds me, i need to check if VLC has the same behaviour.

Checked:
VLC does not exhibit this behaviour
Win11 media player does not exhibit this behaviour

EDIT 2:
Let me maybe ask another way - is there other ways to output video and still profit from RTX HDR? It really does improve quality.

AtomicStryker

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:06 pm

The Windows player does not support any of the RTX features. And I don't think latest VLC release has it yet either.

MPC Video Renderer is only renderer with RTX HDR support at this moment as far as I know.

Report to NVIDIA is simple, just include all relevant details:
- just say what happens: "video goes black randomly when entering fullscreen mode"
- Windows 11 with OS HDR enabled
- MPC-HC version x.x with MPC Video Renderer version x.x
- NVIDIA driver x.x till x.x
- Both old 8-bit video and 10-bit

Does it work properly when you uncheck "use for resizing" under video processor in MPC Video Renderer? If so then you can mention that it only happens when using D3D11 video processor and not when using shader processing in MPC Video Renderer.

Also, is there never an issue already when starting playback? Just with fullscreen?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:25 pm

Press Ctrl+J to show the renderer debug overlay. Make a screenshot for me when video goes black.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AtomicStryker Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:37 pm

CTRL-J overlay unfortunately also stops rendering when the screen is black.

Yes it only happens when entering or exiting (exclusive?) fullscreen.

uncheck "use for resizing" -> the blackscreen bug is gone, but now fullscreen has heavy artifacts and crazy colors.

Toggling fullscreen randomly blacks out video Before10
Toggling fullscreen randomly blacks out video Fullsc11
Toggling fullscreen randomly blacks out video Fullsc10

The only difference in the debug overlay seems to be scaling resolution and specification of Catmull-Rom algorithm

EDIT:

Here's my MCP renderer settings:
Toggling fullscreen randomly blacks out video Mpcset10

EDIT 2:

I had a thought. The only other software im aware of to use RTX HDR is chrome.
So i dragged the same video file into chrome and it can in fact play it.
NV control panel agrees RTX HDR is enabled during playback in Chrome.
Chrome does not have this behaviour. So presumably they do something different in feeding the video to the driver?

AtomicStryker

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:10 pm

You cannot really compare different apps as they may work very differently.

The randomness really suggest a driver bug. How does the NVIDIA control panel behave when the problem occurs? Does it change state?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AtomicStryker Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:36 pm

Yes, the video "High Dynamic Range" status indicator changes from Active to Inactive. But that's it, there really isn't much info related to current processing.

Do the LAV Video Decoder settings play any role here?

Toggling fullscreen randomly blacks out video Lavset10

EDIT:

I tried the various HW options. The blackscreen problem remains.

AtomicStryker

Back to top Go down

Post by AtomicStryker Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:20 pm

I did some more testing and it appears to have a correlation with the HDR settings

Toggling fullscreen randomly blacks out video Hdr_af10

Unticking "convert to SDR" reduces the black screening chance by a lot. I can still trigger it, but i have to really mash F11 now. Or maybe thats just bias.

AtomicStryker

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:44 am

"convert to SDR" should in theory not have effect because the input is not HDR. After looking at the renderer code, I don't see any hints it might be related to your problem.

Let me know results after longer period of testing.

But RTX HDR is still being deactivated when going fullscreen?
And previously, it would only deactivate when video also went black?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AtomicStryker Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:46 pm

It's probably bias and changed nothing. I still get the blackscreens. When LAV Video Decoder setting "Hardware Decoder to use" is anything other than "None" frequently its even a blackscreen upon opening a file. I fully agree with you that this is some driver issue, but a bug report would look better if other applications replicated the same problem.

Did i say RTX HDR deactivates on fullscreen? It only deactivates when i have a blackscreen, a frozen frame (similar to blackscreen), or when "use for resizing" is switched off.

AtomicStryker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum