Dynamic GPU for decoding

2 posters

Go down

Dynamic GPU for decoding Empty Dynamic GPU for decoding

Post by burner4775 Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:00 am

Just a feature request, obviously, if it's possible.

I'm one of the many people who has a laptop with a dedicated GPU that is able to decode AV1 but not the iGPU. Obviously using the iGPU makes sense to save power since its performance is adequate. However, while decoding AV1 with CPU doesn't use too much power below 720p, the same is not true at higher resolutions. I've been wondering if it's possible to have MPC-HC detect AV1 codec and use the dedicated GPU.

My HW decoder is set to D3D11 and device is set to Automatic but I have never seen MPC-HC use the dedicated GPU, hence this post.

Also, just a quick question to not post a new topic: Tips to minimise power usage while not damaging the playback/quality?

Cheers.

burner4775

Back to top Go down

Dynamic GPU for decoding Empty Re: Dynamic GPU for decoding

Post by Admin Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:29 pm

Only one GPU is available to the application on such laptops. You can specify in Windows settings which GPU should be used (by each application).

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by burner4775 Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:12 pm

Yes, I know that I can manually specify which GPU to use. I'm asking whether if it's possible to implement an automation on MPC-HC. I suppose not, at least for the time being. Thanks for the reply.

burner4775

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:37 am

Not possible.

But you could create two registry scripts to quickly adjust the Windows settings. Then you can set a desired GPU before starting the player. Assuming you know what kind of content you are going to play.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum