K-Lite audio configuration for an external audio amplifier

2 posters

Go down

K-Lite audio configuration for an external audio amplifier Empty K-Lite audio configuration for an external audio amplifier

Post by stefanino1993 Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:39 pm

I have a laptop and an external audio amplifier (Marantz PM6007/N1SG).
In order to avoid my laptop to process audio, I bougth an HDMI audio extractor: the HDMI coming from my laptop becomes the input of this extractor. The extractor has two outputs: out1 is an HDMI (which is a copy of the input HDMI audio and video signals) and goes to my external monitor, whereas out2 is an S/PDIF bringing only the audio signal extracted from the input HDMI.
I want that my Marantz elaborates audio signals, bypassing any elaboration of my laptop: my laptop should only transfer the bits of my audio files to the Marantz.

QUESTION:
1) which option should I choose as "Audio decoder output"? My guess is "Same as input"
2) Should I enable or disable "Audio bitstreaming to external device"? My guess is I have to enable it, but what about "HDMI connection" or "S/PDIF"? The Marantz sees an S/PDIF input, but my notebook an HDMI output...

Thank you

stefanino1993

Back to top Go down

K-Lite audio configuration for an external audio amplifier Empty Re: K-Lite audio configuration for an external audio amplifier

Post by Admin Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:46 pm

Select Stereo. That will be used for everything except AC3/DTS (which are bitstreamed). S/PDIF does not support more channels.

Enable S/PDIF bitstreaming. AC3 and DTS are then send directly to your receiver.
Check the capabilities of the receiver. It seems to be only Stereo output? Maybe it does not support AC3/DTS. In that case just disable bistreaming.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

K-Lite audio configuration for an external audio amplifier Empty Re: K-Lite audio configuration for an external audio amplifier

Post by stefanino1993 Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:10 pm

Thank you for your reply.

What do you mean with "S/PDIF does not support more channels"?
The main purpose for me is to reproduce my flac audio files coming from ripped CD, assigning the task to elaborate them to the Marantz. I would like to listen to my audio collection with the highest quality as possible.
That's why I'm interested in bitstreaming the audio.
The HDMI audio extractor allows me to use as audio output either optical or coaxial cables. There should be no difference, I believe.
As far as regards ac3/dts, my Marantz should be able to process them, but it's not a problem: I'm only interested in flac audio files.

stefanino1993

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:14 pm

Bitstreaming means that the audio is send to the receiver in its original compressed form. Then the receiver does the decoding instead of the computer. This does not give better quality output. With a few minor exceptions such as Atmos, which can't be decoded on computer.

It is NOT possible to bitstream FLAC. This will be transfered as uncompressed audio.

S/PDIF cable only has enough bandwidth to transfer uncompressed audio in Stereo or AC3/DTS in compressed form (up to 5.1).

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stefanino1993 Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:42 pm

Thank you. I try to sum up what I have understood.

I select "stereo": in this way, my laptop decompresses FLAC (which is a lossless but compressed codec) and bits of the decompressed audio go directly to HDMI (the one connecting the laptop to the HDMI audio extractor) and then to the Marantz, which will convert bits into analog signals through its DAC. In other words, on the optical cable only bits travel, and NOT the audio analog signal generated by the soundcard of the laptop.

As far as regards bitstream: if it is enabled, only AC3/DTS audio (which is multichannel but compressed audio) is directly sent to the Marantz. If the Marantz is not able to decompress it, then I have to disable bitstream.

Is it correct?

stefanino1993

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:51 pm

Yes

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum