MPC-HC player causes battery drain during playback

2 posters

Go down

MPC-HC player causes battery drain during playback Empty MPC-HC player causes battery drain during playback

Post by Zephyrus7 Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:54 pm

Hello everyone. Before anything, I like this player. Being able to download and configure subtitles, choose different renderers and such are great. But one minor inconvenience prevents me from using it all the time. It always uses 12% of GPU 3D and thus CPU frequency is always high during playback. As you might guess, this cuts my battery life by more than half. Other players do not show this behavior. I don't know if this is done for purposes like setting the CPU clock to the highest to prevent sync problems.

I want to find out how to make the app use less or no GPU 3D usage for watching media without AC power. This would be very appreciated if it's possible.

11400H
iGPU + 3050 (not being used)
Codec Pack 17.9.4 Standart
Windows 11 22H2
All drivers are up to date

Zephyrus7

Back to top Go down

MPC-HC player causes battery drain during playback Empty Re: MPC-HC player causes battery drain during playback

Post by Admin Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:47 pm

Which renderer are you using?

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

MPC-HC player causes battery drain during playback Empty Re: MPC-HC player causes battery drain during playback

Post by Zephyrus7 Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:17 pm

Admin wrote:Which renderer are you using?
I use default MPC Video Renderer. Other settings are in default as well.

Zephyrus7

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:56 pm

Uncheck "Use Direct3D 11" in MPCVR.
In LAV Video Decoder set hardware decoding to DXVA2 Native.

Maybe that works better.

Otherwise try EVR-CP as renderer.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephyrus7 Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:39 pm

Admin wrote:Uncheck "Use Direct3D 11" in MPCVR.
In LAV Video Decoder set hardware decoding to DXVA2 Native.

Maybe that works better.

Otherwise, try EVR-CP as renderer.

I tried them but unfortunately, there were no significant differences at all. By the way, I tried to play both h264 and h265 files, results are the same.

For the record, when I play videos with the default media player (which uses media foundation) there was no 3d usage at all but, some stutters occurred here and there. There is no stutter whatsoever with MPC-HC.

Zephyrus7

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:46 pm

The usage as reported by Windows is inaccurate anyway. GPU usage is split into categories (3D/video) in an illogical way. Plus value is not relative to the absolute maximum, but depends on current clock speed.

It works the way it works, and if that isn't good enough you are out of luck.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum