Very slow MKV access. Windows explorer.exe reads the first 60MB of an MKV just by clicking it

2 posters

Go down

Very slow MKV access. Windows explorer.exe reads the first 60MB of an MKV just by clicking it Empty Very slow MKV access. Windows explorer.exe reads the first 60MB of an MKV just by clicking it

Post by spuz Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:03 pm

I have a problem where I have copied an MKV file to a network disk but that file is now inaccessible in explorer.exe in Windows 11 because it tries to read the first 60MB of the file when performing any kind of operation (left clicking, right clicking, copying, deleting, opening etc). This takes several minutes due to the slow nature of the read operation.

I have diagnosed this as a potential issue in K-lite code by copying the file back to my local disk and then running Process Monitor. In the attached screen capture you can see me set a filter, then select the file at which point you will see thousands of ReadFile events appear. As I scroll down you can see that it is trying to read the first 62914560 bytes (60MiB) of the 6.1GB file (actually it tried to read 60MB twice in this recording). I can also view the call stack of these ReadFile events and see that the GetListsFromExtension function in the IcarosPropertyHandler.dll of K-Lite is being called. I am running the latest version 17.9.4 Basic of K-Lite Codec Pack. As you can see I am using the details view but I also have all thumbnails disabled.

I have tried the same thing with other MKV files and I don't get the same problem. What can I do to try to diagnose this bug?

spuz

Back to top Go down

Very slow MKV access. Windows explorer.exe reads the first 60MB of an MKV just by clicking it Empty Re: Very slow MKV access. Windows explorer.exe reads the first 60MB of an MKV just by clicking it

Post by Admin Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:49 pm

I need that file so that I can send it to the developer of Icaros.

If you downloaded it somewhere, then just copy the link here where I can get it. Otherwise please upload it to for example Google Drive, Dropbox, or some other free hosting site.

Here is a small tool to quickly cut a piece from front of file:
https://www.rationalqm.us/dgsplit/dgsplit12.zip
Don't forget to test if the small cut file still has same problem.

You can send link in private message if needed. You can also contact the Icaros developer directly if desired: xanashi@gmail.com

You can (temporarily) disable Icaros PropertyHandler this way:
Codec Tweak Tool > Various Tweaks

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Very slow MKV access. Windows explorer.exe reads the first 60MB of an MKV just by clicking it Empty Re: Very slow MKV access. Windows explorer.exe reads the first 60MB of an MKV just by clicking it

Post by spuz Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:27 am

I want to update this thread to say that I was not able to reproduce the bug on any other video files. When chopping the file into smaller parts the problem no longer occurred (I thought it might have something to do with the fact the file is over 4GB but no, even after chopping it to 4.1gb, the problem stops). Unfortunately, I can't really share that 6gb movie file. In any case disabling the Icaros Property handler using the Codec Tweak Took worked.

When I first raised this issue, I thought it was affecting a lot more than this one file but if it's just a one off, I can live with it.

spuz

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:33 pm

If you downloaded that file from somewhere then you can send me link as a private message. I don't care if it is a torrent.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum