Large Black Border When Playing Video on a Rotated Monitor

2 posters

Go down

Large Black Border When Playing Video on a Rotated Monitor Empty Large Black Border When Playing Video on a Rotated Monitor

Post by Xeo Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:18 am

Hello,

I'm using the latest version of IrfanView with the latest version of the K-Lite Codec Pack (17.8.5). I spoke with Irfan about this issue and he mentioned that IrfanView doesn't actually play the video. It's the codec that does. So here I am. I'm using Windows 10 64-bit. When playing a video on a monitor rotated to portrait mode I get a large black border on the bottom of the screen. If I drag the window over to another monitor that is in the standard orientation the black border goes away. I've replicated this issue on multiple computers. Hoping to get this one figured out. Thanks for your help.

Xeo

Back to top Go down

Large Black Border When Playing Video on a Rotated Monitor Empty Re: Large Black Border When Playing Video on a Rotated Monitor

Post by Admin Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:54 pm

The codec is not responsible for the display size or orientation of the video.

The application is responsible for creation of the video window and it size. I am assuming Irfanview does that correctly in this situation. The video renderer is then responsible for filling that area with the decoded video.

Irfanview uses the system default renderer from Windows, which is the ancient Video Mixing Renderer 7 (vmr7).

The K-Lite installer has an option to adjust the default renderer to VMR9. You can find it on the "Additional Tasks and Options" page in the installer. This might solve your problem.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Large Black Border When Playing Video on a Rotated Monitor Empty Re: Large Black Border When Playing Video on a Rotated Monitor

Post by Xeo Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:25 am

As it turns out, uninstalling the K-Lite Codecs fixed the issue.

Xeo

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:34 am

That might not have been the only change that you have made.

What kind of file extension and video format was giving the problem? Windows doesn't support many formats out-of-the-box through DirectShow.

Which graphics card do you have?
Test if disabling hardware accelerated decoding has any effect.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum