Request help with hardware acceleration and subtitles

2 posters

Go down

Request help with hardware acceleration and subtitles Empty Request help with hardware acceleration and subtitles

Post by flash Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:24 pm

Hello all.

I have two problems

1. I can't seem to enable hardware acceleration. I installed k-lite codec pack as my understanding was that I could use my GPU to help render videos (software rendering is choppy when watching 4k videos as my CPU is being used 100%).
- I have opened LAV Video Decoder and set the following settings:
Request help with hardware acceleration and subtitles LryUr4v
However, it seems to have made no difference. My CPU is still 100%, 4k movies are choppy, and my GPU load is still only ~25% like it was before I installed k-lite codec pack. The first problem I see in this screenshot is that the Active Hardware Accelerator is <none>.

What can I do?

2. Before I installed k-lite codec pack to be able to properly play 4k movies, I had CCCP. with CCCP there was a VoSUB icon available where I could set subtitles delay (+ or -). When accessing VoSUB, it looked exactly like this: Request help with hardware acceleration and subtitles How_to_sync_directvobsub_vsfilter_timing
where I could set the delay in milisecs (positive or negative number for subtitles to come early/later). Is there a way to set delay for subtitles using k-lite codec pack?

Thank you

flash

Back to top Go down

Request help with hardware acceleration and subtitles Empty Re: Request help with hardware acceleration and subtitles

Post by Admin Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:39 am

Your GPU can only hardware accelerate H.264 video. You are probably playing a video that uses a more modern video format such as HEVC. You need newer hardware to play that smoothly.

DXVA2 Native gives better performance than DXVA2 Copyback.

The player uses an internal subtitle renderer that is better than DirectVobSub. You can adjust delay by pressing F1 or F2. It adds/substracts 500ms to delay on each press. You can modify step size in the player options if desired.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Request help with hardware acceleration and subtitles Empty Re: Request help with hardware acceleration and subtitles

Post by flash Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:55 am

Admin wrote:Your GPU can only hardware accelerate H.264 video. You are probably playing a video that uses a more modern video format such as HEVC. You need newer hardware to play that smoothly.

DXVA2 Native gives better performance than DXVA2 Copyback.

The player uses an internal subtitle renderer that is better than DirectVobSub. You can adjust delay by pressing F1 or F2. It adds/substracts 500ms to delay on each press. You can modify step size in the player options if desired.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, the video is a HEVC x265. Is there no way to GPU hardware accelerate these? no decoders? Only solution is to upgrade to a better CPU?

To mention my resolution is 1920x1200 as that is what my monitor supports (and I use dual monitor, with one extending the desktop). Is there a way to downscale it so it will not be so choppy.

Also, I have another 4K video that runs very smoothly and my CPU is only at 40%. These are the details:
Video: HVC1 3840x2160 (160:67) 23.976fps [V: hevc main 10 L5.0, yuv420p10le, 3840x2160 [default]]

For the 4K video that is very choppy with CPU at 100%:
Video: HVC1 3840x2160 23.976fps [V: English [eng] (hevc main 10 L5.1, yuv420p10le, 3840x2160

No sure why the difference.

Thank you

flash

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:01 pm

Yes, only way to accelerate HEVC is with a newer graphics card (GPU). But your CPU might be fast enough to do software decoding.

The performance issue is with decoding. Scaling is done after decoding. That won't help to improve performance.

If one of those videos plays smooth, while the other doesn't, then maybe the problem is related to subtitles. Animated subtitles can have a big performance impact. Test if disabling subtitles improves playback.

Try this setting:
MPC options > Subtitles > Maximum Texture Resolution = 1920x1080
(lower value gives better performance and less sharp result)

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum