Codec pack license

4 posters

Go down

Codec pack license Empty Codec pack license

Post by randi1983 Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:22 pm

Hello,

We are developing a commercial game and want to ship the K-Lite codec pack together with our software and install it automatically in the installer.

I searched the website for the license and found just "freeware".

Does that mean we can ship it? Where do I find information about this?

Randi

randi1983

Back to top Go down

Codec pack license Empty Re: Codec pack license

Post by GTX680FTW Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:46 pm

Please post a public link to your game website or/and steam store page that your game belongs to. What proof do you have you are making a game that requires K-Lite Codec Pack to be installed? The whole subject is entirely redundant and is highly dependent on user prefference. You can't force users to install K-Lite Codec Pack from your installer because it would be too risky that you yourself have sabotaged/modified the K-Lite Codec Pack components. The components are FREE so there is NO NEED to "include" them in your "game" installer; instead you can propose a link at the end of the installation which leads to codecguide.com downloads. Besides, WHAT is your game made in, C++, DX11, is it a simple browser game, a video click game? I have never heard of a game that requires independent "video playback" codecs to run. And please be aware that you HAVE posted in a public forum, otherwise if you would like to avoid such future dialogues and replyes from other people, PM the main admin himself. Also, K-Lite is being constantly updated to more advanced versions supporting newer and newer pc hardware and playback performance improvements. What you want is equall as, for example: The Witcher 3 being shipped with NVIDIA Graphics Card Drivers. The software would be obsolete in a matter of weeks and be updated. The same process applies to KLCP. If it can be updated frequently in one click so can it be downloaded in seconds, from the original source, NOT your version of the pack.

GTX680FTW

Back to top Go down

Post by randi1983 Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:27 am

In our game the user can add custom videos. We are using qt for video playback and this is not shipped with all codecs our customers use. So we need to install them.

Also our users use classrooms with dozens of computers. So it would simplify things if we installed the codecs together with our software.

It should also not be your concern if this is a good or bad idea. it is really about the licence.

Also this comment about the danger that we modify the codec pack when we ship it with our software is not really helpful. We ALREADY install code they execute on their computer, so there is little additional danger.

So CAN we do this if we want to? I could not find anything out the license, just that K-Lite is "Freeware", which is really not good enough for a commercial company that want to ship this.

randi1983

Back to top Go down

Post by GTX680FTW Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:05 am

You expect anyone to believe that and the autors to give you permission, without even saying WHAT is the name of your game? If you have no bad intentions the why are you hiding the name of your game? I am a user of K-Lite since 2005 and I have every right to be concerned for the well being and good word of K-Lite. What you want is redundant and your game surely does not require the entire pack to run. If you are making a game, then surely you have the ability to make your own in-game video renderer which is the most basic thing for even the simplest of games. There are way too many bad people out there with their petty schemes who spread and believe false negative information about K-Lite. Starting with the retarded Shark Codecs maniac/autist spreading lies about K-Lite and people who believe Potplayer works miracles. If admin allows you to just take the entire pack and put it in some imaginry game then fine the components are free anyway, but you're not fooling me untill you proove you are making a game and post you games screenshots here or a link to your games website. You should go ask the authors of all the individual components anyway.

GTX680FTW

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:54 pm

It is not allowed to distribute it that way. You may however direct users to our website to download the codecs if necessary. The Basic version is already sufficient to play everything.

End-users can easily deploy to multiple systems by using a silent install (command line: /verysilent). Settings can even be customized with /unattended if desired.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by randi1983 Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:21 pm

Thanks for the info Admin, that is all I wanted to know.

randi1983

Back to top Go down

Post by gafaroff77 Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:06 am

Sorry for my question, but im not understand - where I can read the full text of the license for the software itself and its components? the question is important - can I use it on a working computer (there all software products are licensed)?

gafaroff77

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:13 pm

Using it on your work computer is allowed.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gafaroff77 Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:12 am

Sorry again, but WHERE CAN I READ (copy, save) official text of license of this software and it's components?
If the supervising authorities ask me - why do you use this software? It's law's right? Show to license now! - What im answer? What im show? Message in forum? ))
Sorry for persistents - an important question for me.

gafaroff77

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:40 pm

There is no license document. The individual components all either have GPL, LGPL, or freeware license.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum