MPC-HC timeline preview shows only a black screen on some files.

3 posters

Go down

MPC-HC timeline preview shows only a black screen on some files. Empty MPC-HC timeline preview shows only a black screen on some files.

Post by dbminter Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:35 pm

I've been testing the MPC-HC timeline preview feature introduced in 15.9.5 of the K-Lite Codec Mega Pack and also on the 15.9.6 update.  The problem I've encountered is about half of the files I've tested so far display proper preview images but the other half display a black screen.  And I've seen this behavior on both .AVI and .MP4.

I put one of these files that only previews a black screen on my OneDrive.  Maybe others can test to see if they get the same results or maybe can debug the problem if it's an issue.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgRNx8Q17xvfj2atVZMhHlNmPLHp?e=HwpevM

Thanks!

EDIT: Some new pertinent information has come to light on my end.  If I play one of these files that doesn't preview but before I do I play a file that does preview, then these files that don't preview do preview properly.  If I close off MPC-HC, then the files that don't preview don't preview anymore until a file is loaded and previewed that does preview.  So, the problem appears to be something on my end, but what could it be?

EDIT 2: Some more new information that probably more narrowly nails down the issue. These preview files that don't preview on start of MPC-HC. If I load one and try to preview it, I get a black screen. If I then go into Recent Files and load that same file again, previews work fine. Closing MPC-HC causes the previews to go black again. But, loading the file again causes preview to work. So, it is something that is only happening on start of MPC-HC.

dbminter

Back to top Go down

MPC-HC timeline preview shows only a black screen on some files. Empty Re: MPC-HC timeline preview shows only a black screen on some files.

Post by Admin Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:27 am

Just to clarify so I understand the problem correctly, the little preview window does appear all the time, correct? The problem is just that it is black in some situations, right?

It could be that there is some sort of delay in the display of the video. The preview has a black background over which the decoded video is placed. Maybe it does eventually appear if you hold your mouse in a steady position for a few seconds?

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

MPC-HC timeline preview shows only a black screen on some files. Empty Re: MPC-HC timeline preview shows only a black screen on some files.

Post by dbminter Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:12 am

The preview window appears all the time, correct, with the time at the top, but the preview window's video contents are just a black screen.

I held the mouse over a steady position for about 30 seconds and the preview video still stayed black. Even moving the mouse after hovering did not change the display from black. The only thing that seems to work is open the file and then open it again with Recent Files or double clicking on the file in File Explorer while MPC-HC is still open after playing the file before.

dbminter

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:07 am

How good are your computer skills?
If you know how to register a DLL, then download this proppage.dll file and register it.

Then you can use the GraphStudioNext tool to view the DirectShow filter graph used by MPC-HC.
GraphStudioNext menu > File > Connect to Remote Graph

It should show two entries, one of which is used by the preview function.
That one should contain the following filters:
LAV Splitter (shown as the video file name)
LAV Video Decoder (internal)
EVR
Null Audio Renderer (Any)

If you see anything different, let me know.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dbminter Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:53 am

I majored in computer science. Smile But, that was 25 years ago when I graduated, so Windows skills weren't exactly emphisizsed. But, I'm pretty sure I can Google how to do it. I've been using Google for over 20 years. Smile I'm pretty good at following directions.

Couldn't download that file. That link takes me to an adf.ly page that asks me to wait a few seconds. Then, it opens a window saying I need to update my Flash player. Flash has been discontinued so I know I probably can't trust that link. Besides, I already installed the last released Flash update, so 1.) there's nothing to update to and 2.) I don't need to update.

I found a copy of the file, registered it, but GraphStudio returns nothing, like it did before, after registering the DLL.

dbminter

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:07 am

Maybe you got a 32-bit version of the file. You should strip the adf.ly partof the url. That is added by the stupid forum host. Correct url is
Code:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/r2l7ei

That is a 64-bit version of the DLL, to be used with 64-bit versions of MPC-HC and GraphStudioNext.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dbminter Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:11 pm

I made sure to get a 64 bit version of the file before. I was offered the choice of both.

Can't download the file right now. SendSpace says it's doing scheduled maintenance. Will try again later.

dbminter

Back to top Go down

Post by dbminter Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:04 am

Unfortunately, I got the same result with the posted .DLL as I got before when I attempted it myself. GraphStudioNext returns nothing in its list.

dbminter

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:23 pm

Then we need to wait until more people encounter this problem. Right now I an unable to reproduce the problem.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dbminter Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:08 pm

That's one thing I wanted to see about. If it was reproducable on someone else's end. If it wasn't, then it is most likely some kind of configuration issue on my end. That's why I provided a test file. And, even on my end, it's doesn't affect every file on opening. That's why I didn't notice it at first because it was working fine on the files I tested it on, but I later discovered some files, like the one I put up, behave this way on loading.

Well, thanks for trying!

dbminter

Back to top Go down

Post by mooms Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:52 am

I downloaded and played the file on the first post, i don't reproduce the issue (no black preview).

mooms

Back to top Go down

Post by dbminter Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:02 am

mooms wrote:I downloaded and played the file on the first post, i don't reproduce the issue (no black preview).

Thanks for taking the time to do that! That just adds further proof the problem is most likely on my end.

When the next Windows 10 refresh comes out, it will be time to restore my old Windows 10 20H2 update image, update all the applications, including the K-Lite Codec Pack, and update to the next Windows 10 version. I'll see if the problem repeats itself then.

dbminter

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:27 pm

Does the player show "Enhanced Video Renderer" as available?
Options > Playback > Output > Video renderer

If not, the preview window uses VMR9 as video renderer instead of EVR. That might possibly make a difference. I have not tested yet.

Which graphics card and graphics driver version do you have?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dbminter Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:52 pm

I don't have a Video renderer option, per se. I do, though, and I believe this is what you're looking for, have an Enhanced Video Renderer under a drop down option under DirectShow video. "Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)."

I'm not entirely sure I even have a graphics card. This is the first PC I've ever had that connected by HDMI cable directly into an HDMI port in the back on the case. And I am using a DVI to HDMI bridge cable to connect an older monitor.

I don't know if this is the graphics driver or not, but Device Manager under Display returns Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630. The version is 26.20.100.7263.

dbminter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum