Codec Guide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M2TS files that contain VC-1 video play with just a black screen in MPC-HC on Windows 10.

Go down

M2TS files that contain VC-1 video play with just a black screen in MPC-HC on Windows 10. Empty M2TS files that contain VC-1 video play with just a black screen in MPC-HC on Windows 10.

Post by imperia on Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:16 am

Hello,

M2TS files that contain VC-1 video play with just a black screen in MPC-HC on Windows 10.
I tried disabling Media Foundation for .m2ts files in Codec Tweak Tool and set Preferred decoders to USE MERIT.
LAV Video Decoder still picks "wmv9 mft" as active codec and the screen is blank.

Any ideas how to fix this?

imperia

Back to top Go down

M2TS files that contain VC-1 video play with just a black screen in MPC-HC on Windows 10. Empty Re: M2TS files that contain VC-1 video play with just a black screen in MPC-HC on Windows 10.

Post by Admin on Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:21 pm

Those tweaks are for Windows Media Player only. MPC-HC does not use Media Foundation.

In the settings of LAV Video Decoder, on the Formats tab, you can find an option (at bottom) to disable use of wmv9 MFT decoder.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

M2TS files that contain VC-1 video play with just a black screen in MPC-HC on Windows 10. Empty Re: M2TS files that contain VC-1 video play with just a black screen in MPC-HC on Windows 10.

Post by imperia on Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:58 pm

After a lot of testing I found out what is causing the problem. It seems that there are some issues with "Internal subtitles renderer" and V-1 codec.

I am using MadVR renderer. In MPC-HC -> Options -> Output, If "Internal subtitles renderer" is selected I got black screen with VC-1 codec. Even CTRL-J is not showing up on screen.
If I select VSFilter/DirectVobSub - video is played back correctly with subtitles.
I tried other codecs like h264 with subtitles and they are working with "Internal subtitles renderer".

P.S. After more testing:
Looks like some VC-1 files are played fine:
WVC1 1920x1080 29.97fps [V: vc-1 advanced L3, yuv420p, 1920x1080] not working - black screen, no subtitles too
WVC1 1920x1080 25fps [V: vc-1 advanced L3, yuv420p, 1920x1080] not working - black screen, no subtitles too

WVC1 1920x1080 23.976fps [V: vc-1 advanced L3, yuv420p, 1920x1080] working - subtitles OK

I will try to perform those test on another PC.

imperia

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:09 pm

Look here:
MPC-HC menu > Play > Filters > madVR > Pin Info

What does it show there for "connection media type" in both cases? I suspect there is a difference.

Maybe DXVA hardware acceleration is being used when the black screen problem occurs.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by imperia on Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:24 am

Output is the same for both, but MediaInfo:

This is the not working one. Interlaced.
Code:
Video
ID                             : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                        : 1 (0x1)
Format                         : VC-1
Format profile                 : Advanced@L3
Codec ID                       : 234
Duration                       : 59 min 15 s
Bit rate                       : 30.5 Mb/s
Width                          : 1 920 pixels
Height                         : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Frame rate                     : 25.000 FPS
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0
Bit depth                      : 8 bits
Scan type                      : Interlaced
Scan order                     : Top Field First
Compression mode               : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)             : 0.589
Stream size                    : 12.6 GiB (94%)

This is working. Progressive.
Code:
Video
ID                             : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                        : 1 (0x1)
Format                         : VC-1
Format profile                 : Advanced@L3
Codec ID                       : 234
Duration                       : 11 s 803 ms
Bit rate                       : 3 443 kb/s
Width                          : 1 920 pixels
Height                         : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Frame rate                     : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0
Bit depth                      : 8 bits
Scan type                      : Progressive
Compression mode               : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)             : 0.069
Stream size                    : 4.85 MiB (79%)

imperia

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:42 pm

The problem is unlikely related directly to subtitles. Since VSFilter is placed in between the decoder and madVR, it probably makes a subtle change in the mediatype data that happens to avoid the problem.

Could you cut a piece of the interlaced video and upload it for me? Then I can try if it also happens on my computer.

You can cut a piece (40 MB) with this little tool:
http://rationalqm.us/dgsplit/dgsplit12.zip

You can upload to for example:
http://www.sendspace.com

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by imperia on Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:08 am

At the end I narrowed the problem to bad driver for Intel graphics video card. Interesting it was affecting both Intel and NVidia adaptors on my laptop.

I was using driver higher revision than mine, not available in Windows update or Intel website. I was forced to use this driver because sometimes my screen was going black for 1 second. Now after using Display Driver Uninstaller for both NVidia and Intel driver - the old "certified" driver from windows update is working without problem. I am not bothering to test newer driver anymore, to see if it was just some settings in registry causing this.

Sorry for wasting your time and thanks for the help.

BTW do you know how i can stop Windows update from auto-installing nvidia driver. On one pc i want to use older driver for 3D movies only, but Windows from time to time updates it.

imperia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum