Before uninstalling old version, please give option to back up all settings...

3 posters

Go down

Before uninstalling old version, please give option to back up all settings... Empty Before uninstalling old version, please give option to back up all settings...

Post by asifbaig Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:33 am

I upgraded from K-lite mega codec 10.00 to K-lite mega codec 11.70. It asked me to uninstall my old version and I click ok. I also made sure to uncheck "reset all settings to their default" during installation of the newer version. Despite that, I lost my settings and favorites in media player classic home cinema.

Can you please add an option to backup old settings to a file BEFORE uninstalling the old version (just in case something goes wrong with migrating settings)? Some of us tweak MPC to make it fit our exact needs, not to mention all the favorites that were my "viewing lists". Their loss is quite a bit of annoyance and frustration.

EDIT - I am using Windows 7 64-bit SP1. Media player classic was storing settings in registry instead of ini file.

Last edited by asifbaig on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)

asifbaig

Back to top Go down

Before uninstalling old version, please give option to back up all settings... Empty Re: Before uninstalling old version, please give option to back up all settings...

Post by Admin Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:45 pm

You can backup the settings with the Codec Tweak Tool.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Before uninstalling old version, please give option to back up all settings... Empty Re: Before uninstalling old version, please give option to back up all settings...

Post by mrkey94 Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:10 am

Admin wrote:You can backup the settings with the Codec Tweak Tool.

Or can you add a remind that uninstall will delete all settings and user should backup first.

mrkey94

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:01 pm

It is only logical that uninstall removes settings. It is supposed to clean up everything.

Only a small group of people have a lot of custom settings. For those that only make a few changes, it is better to re-apply after a clean install. Uninstalling is not needed very often anyway. The risk of showing a notification during uninstall is that many novice users start using backups, even when completely unnecessary. That can potentially result in problems due to outdated settings.

The CTT should soon get more advanced backup/restore functionality.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by asifbaig Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:20 pm

It is only logical that uninstall removes settings. It is supposed to clean up everything.

I would disagree since many uninstallers explicitly ask to delete old settings, bookmarks, saved games etc. I understand the reason for uninstalling before upgrading is to provide a bug-free fresh start and I believe that things like favorites shouldn't cause problems. Not to mention that unlike settings, you have to recall all the different files you were viewing, and the times you were viewing. This is very similar to losing all your bookmarks when installing a new version of your browser. You'll agree that people would be very put off by that.

Can the Codec Tweak Tool recover favorites lost by the uninstall because that's when I found out about my missing favorites (i.e. when I loaded MPC and saw that the list was empty). If not, it wouldn't solve the problem.

The settings/favorites backup doesn't need to be announced. It could be done automatically and placed as a "settings.old" file in the MPC installation folder, the entire process being completely silent. This way it would not alarm the novice user but still prevent useful data being lost forever for those advanced users who need that information later on.

asifbaig

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:43 pm

CTT currently creates a backup of all MPC-HC settings, so including favorites and remembered file positions. A future version may have more options to also backup only those specific settings.

A future version of the installer may have the ability to migrate certain settings when doing a clean upgrade install. Is there anything else besides favorites/file positions that you want to keep?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by asifbaig Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:49 pm

While I mainly missed the favorites (since other things can be more easily reconfigured) I'm guessing someone who has extensively configured it would like to have their Hotkey settings preserved. Other than that, pretty much everything else can be re-configured without too much hassle.

Since you mentioned CTT being able to backup all MPC-HC settings, it would be great if you could have it run silently before uninstalling the old version, as I mentioned before. That way, even if there are any hiccups during settings/favorites migration, the original data will not be lost.

asifbaig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum