K-Lite updates and re-installs fail when using 4K monitor

2 posters

Go down

K-Lite updates and re-installs fail when using 4K monitor Empty K-Lite updates and re-installs fail when using 4K monitor

Post by mfarmwald Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:18 am

Earlier I reported that I installed K-Lite 11.2.0 and when I tried to re-install, the installer failed with a blank window and crashed windows. Un-installing K-Lite and then re-installing works fine.

Now, I just tried the K-Lite 11.2.7 update and it failed in the same way. I tried the same sequence on a machine with a 2500x1600 monitor and it worked fine. The machines are running windows 7 64bit. The failing computer is running an NVidia card, while the working computer runs on a AMD graphics card (in case it matters) - otherwise they're pretty similar machines.

I'm pretty sure the problem is related to the 4k (3840x2048) monitor.

mfarmwald

Back to top Go down

K-Lite updates and re-installs fail when using 4K monitor Empty Re: K-Lite updates and re-installs fail when using 4K monitor

Post by Admin Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:57 pm

If windows crashes then it is most likely a driver fault. Look in the Windows Event Log to see if you can find any details.
Start > Control Panel > System > Administrative Tools > View event logs > Windows Logs > System / Application

If the computer restarts, then this tool is useful for examining the minidump:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

K-Lite updates and re-installs fail when using 4K monitor Empty Re: K-Lite updates and re-installs fail when using 4K monitor

Post by mfarmwald Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:49 am

Windows 7 doesn't actually crash - it goes into a mode where no windows can be opened, so I have force reboot.

I don't think it's K-Lite specific. Today I had the same problem (on the same monitor and computer) installing a printer driver. The install window went blank, and I had to reboot. I changed the resolution down (from 3840x2048 to 2560x1444) and the installer worked fine.

I believe that problem is in the installer. I haven't tried in on a non-Nvidia machine, so it's possible that there is a problematic interaction between the installer and the driver (but only UHD resolution.)

mfarmwald

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:25 pm

The resolution should not really matter for the installer. It even supports DPI scaling. I don't have a 4K monitor to test on, but it worked fine on 3200x1600 on an Intel GPU.

There should be plenty of people with 4K monitors who use the codec pack, and I haven't seen any similar reports, so it must be related to specific hardware/drivers. Based on the symptoms it really looks like a NVIDIA driver problem.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum