Blacks appearing grey when using MPC-HC on a TV

2 posters

Go down

Blacks appearing grey when using MPC-HC on a TV Empty Blacks appearing grey when using MPC-HC on a TV

Post by Shaun. Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:20 am

Hi all, would appreciate any help / explanations because I'm getting a bad headache trying to figure this out with my lack of knowledge! Apologies for the messy writeup, just trying to get everything all typed out here.  Strange thing is I was using an older version of K-Lite and didn't notice this problem until I updated to the newest K-Lite Standard 10.7.1.

Setup:
TV - Sony KDL-60W850B with dynamic range set to Auto for htpc hdmi input
HTPC - spare old PC with XP SP3, Nvidia Geforce 210 connected via HDMI for audio/video, newest geforce drivers (default settings, shows "Custom" resolution of 60hz, 32 bit 1920x1080, desktop color setting of RGB, video color setting uses player settings)
Playback Software: MPC-HC installed with newest K-Lite Codec Standard Pack 10.7.1, all default settings using LAV video decoder which has RGB color set to PC 0-255 by default)

Problem:
XP desktop blacks appear as they should be but playing videos gets washed out blacks (appear grey) depending on the renderer chosen in MPC-HC:
VMR7 windowed = blacks appear fine, not the ideal renderer
VMR7 renderless, VMR9, EVR, EVR-CP etc. = blacks appear grey

Can anyone explain the problem? Ideally I'd like to use VMR9 renderless or EVR but the greyish blacks are very distracting. What are the ideal settings (Limited or Full RGB etc.)? Can anyone explain what's happening with what I listed below? What is the conflict happening in the luminance settings between TV, Nvidia desktop color setting, Nvidia video color setting, LAV Decoder setting, MPC-HC and how should they all work together?

Some Things I've Tried:
- set Sony dynamic range to "Limited" - same results as Auto, desktop good / video washed out
- set Sony dynamic range to "Full" - desktop washed out / video EVEN MORE washed out (HUH?)
- from the above, this suggests Nvidia driver is outputting 16-235 Limited RGB for desktop and video(?)
- changed video color settings in Nvidia to Limited RGB, still greyish blacks
- changed video color settings in Nvidia Control Panel from player settings to use Nvidia setting of "Full RGB" - I don't understand this part but this does help get rid of the greyish blacks, still appears a little brighter than VMR7 Windowed though but I could be imagining things
- tried switching LAV Decoder between 0-255 and 16-235 but can't see any difference regardless of Nvidia color setting set to player specific settings

Misc Thoughts:
- Sony set to Auto/Limited, Nvidia drivers / desktop set to Limited RGB, Nvidia video color settings set at Full RGB, LAV Decoder set to Full 0-255 = much better blacks in videos, desktop blacks are good - I thought having the TV set to Limited and video color settings set to Full would've been the cause of the problem due to a mismatch?? Setting Nvidia video to Limited gives greyish blacks again.
- Sony set to Full, Nvidia drivers / desktop set to Limited RGB, Nvidia video color settings set to player settings, LAV Decoder set to Full 0-255 = washed out desktop, but even more (!) washed out videos

Shaun.

Back to top Go down

Blacks appearing grey when using MPC-HC on a TV Empty Re: Blacks appearing grey when using MPC-HC on a TV

Post by Admin Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:03 pm

Here is a nvidia forum topic with useful information that should explain the problems and how you can solve it:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/523992/geforce-drivers/tip-for-nvidia-users-using-hdmi-and-getting-accurate-color-format/1/

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum