Sound Filtering and Routing in Multichannel Environment

2 posters

Go down

Sound Filtering and Routing in Multichannel Environment Empty Sound Filtering and Routing in Multichannel Environment

Post by Sepidoel Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi all,

I've been using K-lite Mega Codec Pack since version 3 (if I'm not mistaken, it's been a long time for sure). I realize how much it can do, however I don't have time to experiment with them all. I just want to know whether it can do these tasks I'll list below:

1. Be a crossover.

The multichannel in PC means for surround sound, however I want to have a more professional stereo audio system using PC as its crossover and DSP. For example, a PC with 6 channels (5.1) analog outputs divided into 2 (3 channels left and 3 channels right, aka 3 way system without LFE) using 1 audio input - therefore I need to filter the frequency for each channel.

2. Expand the multichannel by adding sound card.

When having 6 channels on-board added with another 6 channels dedicated sound card means 12 channels in total theoretically. This way we can build 5.2 with 2-way configuration (2 speakers for each channel plus 2 LFE). However, I don't plan on using the on-board for quality sound system. However, I'm imagining using 7 PCI-e of 8 channels cards in a PC and add USB cards if needed (for professional use, like concert or night club). This way we can also have multiple microphone and line-in inputs thus automatically make the PC a capable mixer.

3. Have multiple inputs.

Whether it's single card or multiple cards, it will be great if we can have a lot of inputs played together and the sounds are routed as we like. It can be from many players (eg MPC, winamp, VLC, foobar, GOM etc) or just 1 player that can handle multiple input (can you tell me if there is?). The purpose is for multiple rooms setup (eg. karaoke).

4. Do all 3 above.

I don't know what application suitable for this. Let's imagine VIP rooms in high class karaoke, each room have 4-way 2.2 sound system.

5. Network capability.

At least synchronized-playing capability. In a big concert I think it's best if we have multiple separated DSPs playing synchronizely to save cables and preserve audio quality.

I know that there are machines to do all of those, but the price are very high. One I know is priced almost 2000$ for 16 channels DSP (network capable, no mixer), while you can have 16 channels (theoretically) PC under 500$. The only problem is the software. Regarding quality I'm pretty optimistic it can be great depending the sound card and how good the software render, but I don't think it can outperform the specialized machine.

If KLMCP cannot do it, can you mention other software that can do it? Or am I dreaming too much here? Suspect

Thank you in advance. Smile

Sepidoel

Back to top Go down

Sound Filtering and Routing in Multichannel Environment Empty Re: Sound Filtering and Routing in Multichannel Environment

Post by Admin Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:19 pm

ffdshow has a custom mixing feature. That could be helpful for crossover. Everything else requires professional software/hardware.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Sound Filtering and Routing in Multichannel Environment Empty Re: Sound Filtering and Routing in Multichannel Environment

Post by Sepidoel Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:25 am

Thanks, I'll experiment with it later, I hope it can do the trick well. :-)

Sepidoel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sepidoel Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:23 pm

I've experimented the ffdshow audio decoder. Most of the functions are there, but they work differently than what I want.

There's 'FIR filter' which can work as crossover, however it also affects all the channels. Also there's 'Mixer' which can freely appoint which channel goes to which speaker, but it doesn't support multi-input nor multi-soundcard.

It would be good enough if in the 'Mixer' section there's 'FIR filter' or 'Equalizer' for each channel.

@Admin: Do you know what professional software that support those? If the price isn't killing me perhaps I'm willing to buy it.

Sepidoel

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:07 pm

I don't know of any software for that.

Have a look at this forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/f/

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sepidoel Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Okay, thank you. Hope I can find some clue there. Smile

Sepidoel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum