Cannot Play Microsoft Expression Encoder .xesc Files in WMP

2 posters

Go down

Cannot Play Microsoft Expression Encoder .xesc Files in WMP Empty Cannot Play Microsoft Expression Encoder .xesc Files in WMP

Post by Highflier Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:01 pm

I have always been able to play back Microsoft Expression Encoder .xesc Files in WMP, but it seems like a recent version of K-Lite has broken this functionality. The specific WMP error message is:
Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.
I tried re-installing the Expression Encoder codec with no success as the installer reports that a version already exists.

I am currently running Mega pack version 15.4.0 on Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, but the functionality may have been broken a few updates ago as I don't play back these files frequently. Any ideas on how to correct this?

Highflier

Back to top Go down

Cannot Play Microsoft Expression Encoder .xesc Files in WMP Empty Re: Cannot Play Microsoft Expression Encoder .xesc Files in WMP

Post by Admin Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:53 pm

Are you perhaps using the 64-bit version of WMP? It could be that the expression codec only works with 32-bit WMP.

You can try uninstalling the codec pack. If it still fails after that, it it is unlikely the fault of the pack.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Cannot Play Microsoft Expression Encoder .xesc Files in WMP Empty Re: Cannot Play Microsoft Expression Encoder .xesc Files in WMP

Post by Highflier Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:07 am

It worked in 32-bit WMP. I'm guessing K-Lite changed the default to 64-bit? Thanks for the help!

Highflier

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:28 pm

During installation you can choose if you want to create file associations for 32-bit or 64-bit WMP.

64-bit has better decoding performance. So you could consider manually starting 32-bit WMP for the rare cases when you need to play these files.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum