Screen Flickering When Playing back HDR Some Scenes.

2 posters

Go down

Screen Flickering When Playing back HDR Some Scenes. Empty Screen Flickering When Playing back HDR Some Scenes.

Post by marcgii Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:28 am

When I play back certain scenes in HDR, there is a noticeable flickering effect.  The issue is most noticeable on credits scene where you white text scrolling on a black background.  Basically, it appears the brightness of the text doesn't stay constant as it moves.  The issue also appears to be present in all may HDR videos and isn't present in VLC; so I'm sure it's not the source video.  Any idea on what the problem is?

marcgii

Back to top Go down

Screen Flickering When Playing back HDR Some Scenes. Empty Re: Screen Flickering When Playing back HDR Some Scenes.

Post by Admin Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:24 pm

MadVR options > Devices > HDR > select "tone map using pixel shaders"

Then you will have a few options to customize how it converts to SDR. Maybe one of them makes a difference.

A new version of MadVR with lots of HDR related improvements is expected in near future. That should hopefully make things better.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Screen Flickering When Playing back HDR Some Scenes. Empty Re: Screen Flickering When Playing back HDR Some Scenes.

Post by Admin Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:25 pm

Any specific file (that I can download) that shows it very well?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marcgii Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:10 pm

I also tried experimenting with different MadVR and Windows settings with out any luck.  I've never had this issue when running in SDR mode.

I PM'd you a link to a sample video.  I couldn't find anything HDR samples online that also had a credits scene, so I just extracted a minute of credits from one of my movies.

marcgii

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:57 pm

I see the flickering effect too. But it seems more related to motion than with colors. I don't see any color differences with frame stepping (Ctrl+Right). It also happens with other renderers, but less noticeable due to darker colors.

With VLC the motion is less smooth here which has the side effect that it flickers less.

For best viewing experience you should switch to 24 fps refreshrate if you monitor/TV supports that.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marcgii Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:45 pm

Thanks, changing the display output to 24 Hz fixed the issue.  Do you think this a bug?  It seems like it because I can't the see the effect at all when playing SDR content with a 60 HZ output set.  I will make a post to the madVR forum later.

marcgii

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:47 pm

I am not sure if it is a bug. But it never hurts to report this, as Madshi might be able to improve it.

Trouble with playing 24fps on 60Hz is that motion is never super smooth. Credits suffer a lot due to their high contrast and detail.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum