How to play vp6 files

3 posters

Go down

How to play vp6 files Empty How to play vp6 files

Post by hapzfl Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:51 pm

I have recovered .vp6 files but still cannot play them even with the newest codec version.

I looked into the Codec Media Info and a such a file contains 47 streams, most mpgv, some mpga or h264.

No idea what that means but it might explain why these files don't play?

Any suggestions on how to resolve this are very much appreciated?

Last edited by hapzfl on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)

hapzfl

Back to top Go down

How to play vp6 files Empty Re: How to play vp6 files

Post by Admin Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:30 pm

It is most likely a raw VP6 video stream. The MediaInfo results are invalid in this case.

Can you upload one of the file for me? Then I can try to find a solution to play it.
http://www.datafilehost.com

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by notcyf Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:55 pm

VP6 files are old. You either got them from a raw television broadcast(BBC used them for journalist reports) or from an old version of flash(.flv or just .vp6?). You could try playing them in Flash directly.

I'm not sure if it's a flash video in your case, but if it is, try downloading this https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/28/flashplayer_28_sa.exe (standalone flash player) and try drag and dropping the vp6 file on the exe file and see if it plays.

I'm not even sure if the current version of flash player even supports VP6 anymore. Most likely not, but it's worth a try.

notcyf

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:32 pm

FLV would have been recognized by MediaInfo.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hapzfl Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:31 pm

Admin wrote:FLV would have been recognized by MediaInfo.

Unfortunately that is the case. Now I have no idea what these vp6 files represent; unfortunately there are tons of them and they are huge!

The recovery process from a Linux volume provided many different file types, not just vp6: mov, mp4, mpg, mts, swf, flv, and others.

That HD only saved video files created by different types of cameras over the years and some edited with Vegas Pro, nothing else.

hapzfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:34 pm

I mean, if it was VP6 video inside FLV container, then it would be recognized. So it isn't a FLV file. Since MediaInfo gave such weird results, it is either a raw stream or the file is damaged.

Those other file types should all play just fine (except swf). If they don't then the recovery process wasn't fully successful and the files are damaged.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by notcyf Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:27 pm

That is probably the case. The metadata of the files are all saved inside the files itself, not in the partition info. If a file is no longer recognized, it most likely mean that the metadata part of a file is broken and then players cannot find the proper way to play the file.

You could try recovering the volume again using a different tool, or try to repair the metadata of the VP6 file.

Most recovery tools use an algorithm to detect files if partition/filesystem data is no longer available, so if the file is not recognized properly, the recovery tool will try to make sense of it and potentially add metadata itself to try and repair.

notcyf

Back to top Go down

Post by hapzfl Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:39 pm

notcyf wrote:That is probably the case. The metadata of the files are all saved inside the files itself, not in the partition info. If a file is no longer recognized, it most likely mean that the metadata part of a file is broken and then players cannot find the proper way to play the file.

You could try recovering the volume again using a different tool, or try to repair the metadata of the VP6 file.

Most recovery tools use an algorithm to detect files if partition/filesystem data is no longer available, so if the file is not recognized properly, the recovery tool will try to make sense of it and potentially add metadata itself to try and repair.

That is probably the case as I also have a ton of swf files that I cannot open either. And, as with the vp6 files, I have no idea how they were created and by what. So it might very well be a misinterpretation by the recovery software.

hapzfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum