Using a Media Foundation Transform for Wallpaper Engine

3 posters

Go down

Using a Media Foundation Transform for Wallpaper Engine Empty Using a Media Foundation Transform for Wallpaper Engine

Post by Yui Kitamura Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:30 pm

Hey, I'm hoping for a bit of help or a point in the right direction for my problem. I recently purchased Wallpaper Engine, but wasn't able to play 2560x1440 videos on my 2K monitor because I have Windows 7. I absolutely refuse to get Windows 10, so I'm searching for an MFT that allows me to play h.265/HEVC videos. I currently have K-Lite Mega 13.5.0 which works great for decoding HEVC using Directshow in MPC-HC, but unfortunately does not solve my problem since it only applies a Directshow filter.

I'm willing to try anything, and if you need any more information about my computer or software, please feel free to ask. Thank you so much for your time and I hope we can find a solution together!

Yui Kitamura

Back to top Go down

Using a Media Foundation Transform for Wallpaper Engine Empty Re: Using a Media Foundation Transform for Wallpaper Engine

Post by Admin Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:21 pm

You should ask the developer of Wallpaper Engine to support using DirectShow.

There are almost no third party Media Foundation codecs available. I don't know any free one for HEVC. I found this expensive one:
https://www.leadtools.com/downloads?category=mm

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Using a Media Foundation Transform for Wallpaper Engine Empty Re: Using a Media Foundation Transform for Wallpaper Engine

Post by notcyf Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:28 pm

All i know is that LAV is working in the background on Windows Media Framework/Foundation support, but that's going to be a very long time, since they've said that since 2011.

notcyf

Back to top Go down

Post by Yui Kitamura Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:10 pm

Admin wrote:You should ask the developer of Wallpaper Engine to support using DirectShow.

There are almost no third party Media Foundation codecs available. I don't know any free one for HEVC. I found this expensive one:
https://www.leadtools.com/downloads?category=mm

Is this a trial download that you linked? How complicated would it be to use Leadtools to modify my own Media Foundation?

Yui Kitamura

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:00 pm

notcyf wrote:All i know is that LAV is working in the background on Windows Media Framework/Foundation support, but that's going to be a very long time, since they've said that since 2011.
That is not correct. The developer of LAV Filters is not working on that, nor is it planned.

Is this a trial download that you linked? How complicated would it be to use Leadtools to modify my own Media Foundation?
I don't know anything about it beyond what is written on their website. Yes, it seems to be a trial version and it says it includes a codec. You would need to ask them for more details.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yui Kitamura Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:24 pm

I downloaded Leadtools and talked with a support agent on the topic. They told me that Leadtools is only an SDK and nothing more. It will not give me the ability to view h.265 encoded files through an MFT. There would need to be an application created using the SDK that does what I'm looking for. Sad

Well, I'm certainly open to any more suggestions, but it seems like my only options are to either convince the developer of Wallpaper Engine to support Directshow or to upgrade to Windows 10 - Which just isn't going to happen.

Yui Kitamura

Back to top Go down

Post by notcyf Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:29 pm

Admin wrote:
notcyf wrote:All i know is that LAV is working in the background on Windows Media Framework/Foundation support, but that's going to be a very long time, since they've said that since 2011.
That is not correct. The developer of LAV Filters is not working on that, nor is it planned.

I don't know anything about it beyond what is written on their website. Yes, it seems to be a trial version and it says it includes a codec. You would need to ask them for more details.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191&page=39

This is the first thing that has been said about WMF support, there has been talk about it in 2014 as well(also saw some commit about MFT some time ago). I doubt they will be DirectShow forever, since DirectShow is replaced by MMF(MFTs) for Microsoft components, i see no reason for them to continue supporting DirectShow forever. LAV already has an MFT decoder for WMV9(probably required). I'm not entirely sure though, but there should be MFT support at some point(probably years from now), that's all i meant.

notcyf

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:13 pm

No, the developer has said in 2013 already that he won't work on MF. DirectShow isn't going away.

LAV does not contain any MF decoders. The DirectShow LAV Video decoder is only able to use the WMV decoder from Microsoft through its API.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by notcyf Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:18 pm

Admin wrote:No, the developer has said in 2013 already that he won't work on MF. DirectShow isn't going away.

LAV does not contain any MF decoders. The DirectShow LAV Video decoder is only able to use the WMV decoder from Microsoft through its API.

I can understand. I misinterpreted the messages from the LAV developer. From what i understand is that it requires a complete rewrite of the decoders. Though this does mean that LAV will never support UWP apps if that ever becomes the go-to thing in Windows 10. From what i saw it's either D3D11/DXGA decoding or a custom MFT decoder, DirectShow isn't on the Win32/COM API supported list for UWP apps. Though from what i saw, Win32 native apps won't go away(even for Windows 10 S) for a long time, since they now accept Win32(non-UWP) apps in the Store too.

notcyf

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:04 pm

The Windows Store is mostly filled with crap anyway. Many Windows 10 users have never even opened it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yui Kitamura Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:29 pm

I've been chatting with the developer of Wallpaper Engine and he has confirmed that Directshow will be supported in the future, but it's not something that's being worked on currently.

Yui Kitamura

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum