Adware installed even though I clicked decline...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Adware installed even though I clicked decline...

Post by kalzor on Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:11 am

Seriously shady. Seriously.

Further, when you register for the forum it sends you your password in plain text.

What monkeys run this shit show?

kalzor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adware installed even though I clicked decline...

Post by Admin on Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:55 am

Exactly what was installed? It should be impossible that anything got installed by the pack if you clicked decline. At least not with a genuine installer.

The forum is hosted by an external service. But if you use a secure connection to your mail server, use a distinct password for each website, don't give access to other people, and/or simply delete that email, there isn't a big issue.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:24 am

Considering that Shark007 was linking to this topic within 15 minutes of you posting, you might actually be him, just posting bullshit as usual.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slanger on Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:33 am

I've been using K-Lite for years and never even been "offered" any adware. I typically always get stuff from the first mirror. I don't know if my anti-virus somehow scrubs the file before I get to install it or something (I've never seen anything in my anti-virus logs.), but I've never had any trouble. We all probably know (Or should know, if you've been using the internet for more then about a week.) the further you move away from a programs source, the more likely you are to get saddled with adware and whatnot. I understand that providers of stuff sometimes bundle adware with their programs to generate some income to offset their expenses and the reputable ones always provide a opt out option and that's fine; but I don't recall ever even encountering anything like that with K-Lite. Do some of the other mirrors bundle K-Lite with adware and some don't? I was just wondering out of general curiosity.

Slanger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:21 pm

The official installer can show an offer during installation. It is clearly labelled as such, as the page is named "Additional Software Offer", plus the page explains that it is optional and can either be declined or accepted. The actual software isn't included. It is only downloaded once the offer has been accepted. The installer never installs anything that is potentially unwanted without permission from the user. So anyone that claims something got installed while they clicked decline is just lying to cover up their own mistake of blindly clicking through the installer without reading anything.

The majority of users don't get any offer at all. It is only shown during fresh installations, so not during an update. It also depends on your country and which browser is used as default (in case of a plugin).

All the listed mirrors have a genuine file. You can easily verify if you have a genuine file, since the website mentions the filename, exact size, and MD5/SHA256 hashes.

Offers can be declined automatically with Unchecky, or which this registry tweak:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KLCP]
"Tweaks"=dword:00000001

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slanger on Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:00 am

Understood. That's kind of what I thought was the arrangement. I never thought anything shady was going on at all and if it was I'm sure there would be tons of people complaining about it on here and everywhere else. Not to mention the fact I would have come across it on one of the probably hundreds of times I've updated ect. or when I scanned my system for malware + junk. Thanks for the clarification though.

Slanger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum