s768.exe after install

View previous topic View next topic Go down

s768.exe after install

Post by Sil3nt on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:43 pm

Hi folks, don't know what happens but after download (from mirror 1) and install K-Lite Mega Pack i got this infection.
The facts:
I download and install the Mega Pack, using a huge attention to avoid (in case) 3rd part shitware or whatever (No. I'ts not my mistake. I'm not new with pc's stuff). Fortunately I am an Anvir Task Manager user, that quickly inform with a pop-up window that s768.exe require Internet access on Windows start (i got also the legit pop-up by K-Lite which I assume to be for the updates verify).
So, i made a fast research. I got installed this crap without no asking at all during installation. It's related to Browser-Security that is an addon stored in Firefox extentions repository. Btw, looking at my Firefox extentions panel i can't find that crap to disable and/or uninstall.

Vondos.de is the dev of that extention, that (for now) has only 1 (doubt) voting
For what concern s768.exe you can made a simple research by yourself and read about on the Net.

Now, since i don't want (nor have time) to spend my time to scan/remove/reinstall stuff on my pc, my question is: there's PLEASE a CLEAN link where donwload a CLEAN K-Lite?
Please answer only YES / NO

Thanks for you're attention

Last edited by Admin on Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:58 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling corrections)

Sil3nt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: s768.exe after install

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:16 am

There is a page during installation where you can accept/decline the offer of installing this plugin. That is shown near the end of the installation wizard, just before the "ready to install" page. Offers are also only shown during new installs. The plugin itself is a legitimate one, approved by both Mozilla and Google. Of course, many will consider it unwanted. I understand that. K-Lite never installs anything without permissions.

You can use this registry tweak to disable all offers in the future:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KLCP]
"Tweaks"=dword:00000001

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sil3nt on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:10 pm

Thanks for you're reply. Like i said before, i didn't see nothing about that "service" during the installation. I can understand that is a legitimate plugin and the fact that some antivirus report it as dangerous, probably due to is nature. The addon page say:

[...Anyone who takes care of their web browser in time and is concerned about the security of their online activities, prevents theft of data gadgets with just a few clicks. Protect yourself and your PC with our free plug-in from attacks from the net. Browser Security warns you in advance when unsafe sites are trying to get your personal data...]

Anyway, a plugin that install itself bypassing the normal procedure used by all the Firefox extentions, and also hidden itself from the browser panel, it's an extention that I (personally) don't trust.

I'll try to write to MozLab proposing a revision. Bad or not, sure it's not the first time something that was accepted in the FF store turns in a bad addon. Here's the uptaed list for whom wanna take a look:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/

Of course not of all these addons are "bad" but maybe some of this need a revision.

I can understand that developers need some revenue for their works, cost of servers and hosting, managment etc. , btw, sometimes, donations can help a bit. At least, not to force devs to grant their software to a doubt internet download sites.

Thanks again for you're work and for the reg key "string" , but it's is only an half-answer to my question.

see you

Last edited by Sil3nt on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrections spelling)

Sil3nt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:06 am

It only gets installed if you clicked "accept" on that page. If you did not see it, you must have accidentally clicked past it. The button is on the same position as the next buttons on preceding pages. I repeat, it always gives the choice of skipping offers!

The install procedure is not unusual. Extensions need to be signed by Mozilla. It should show up in the extension list if install was successful. So it probably it failed (partially) due to being blocked by your AV. Some may label it as a PUP or adware, purely due to being distributed along with other software.

To uninstall everything, go to the Windows Control Panel, same place as for other software.

Donations do not help unfortunately. Has been tried, and only resulted in $10 during a whole year. Despite having a huge amount of loyal and happy users.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:10 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum