MadVR dropping frames on 10 bit videos while in full screen for no apparent reason

2 posters

Go down

MadVR dropping frames on 10 bit videos while in full screen for no apparent reason Empty MadVR dropping frames on 10 bit videos while in full screen for no apparent reason

Post by marcgii Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:14 am

I recently started having issues with MPC with MadVR dropping frames on my 10 bit videos despite low CPU/GPU loads.  When my video is playing in full screen, the render queue will fall to a value of 0-2/8 (it normally stays at 7-8/8 ) and average render times increase.   Then frames will start dropping.  However if my move my mouse cursor towards the bottom of the screen so that seek bar is visible, the problem goes away.  If I move my cursor so the seek bar disappears, the problem returns.  The problem also fixes itself if I exit full screen.  The only possible causes I can think of are a recent windows update, and a directX install (which was required for a game).   I tried reinstalling K-lite, but that had no effect.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

On an unrelated note, I also noticed 10 bit videos are much more cpu intensive.  I'm using hardware acceleration, so I don't understand why it has such an impact on my CPU.  If anyone knows why, please let me know.

Some additional things to note:
Full screen exclusive mode is not enabled.
There is is no issue with 8 bit video.
Switching to EVR fixes the issue.
Hardware acceleration choice doesn't affect it (I normally use CUVID).
the issue affects h.264 and h.265 videos the same

marcgii

Back to top Go down

MadVR dropping frames on 10 bit videos while in full screen for no apparent reason Empty Re: MadVR dropping frames on 10 bit videos while in full screen for no apparent reason

Post by Admin Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:21 am

Hardware acceleration only works for 8-bit H.264 video. In case of H.265 it is supported (on just a few graphics cards) but you need to use DXVA2 instead of CUVID.

DirectX installs only adds a few DLLs. That is not the cause of the problem. The latest big Win10 update did have some graphics related changes, which is causing some issues.

You should experiment with all the options in MadVR on the "Rendering > General Settings" page. Some users have had succses solving recent Win10 related issues with for example Direct3D11 option and windows overlay option.

Please let me know which options have any positive effect on the render times in your case. It may be helpful for others as well.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

MadVR dropping frames on 10 bit videos while in full screen for no apparent reason Empty Re: MadVR dropping frames on 10 bit videos while in full screen for no apparent reason

Post by Admin Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:26 am

Also enable "don't render frames when fade in/out is detected" on the "trade quality for performance" page in case you disabled that

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marcgii Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.
I've been using the Direct3D 11 for a while now because full screen doesn't work when using D3D9.  None of the MadVR settings fixed it, but I figured it out.  

I went into the Nvidia control panel and changed the power management setting from optimal to adaptive.  The adaptive setting is supposed allow the driver to determine the proper performance state based on usage.  So I guess the GPU was throttling itself before?   I have no idea what triggered the issue in the first place though.

marcgii

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:29 am

Good find!

I did some searching and the "Optimal Power" was added in driver v368 in May of this year. Main difference with adaptive mode is that it re-uses an existing frame in the framebuffer if it hasn't changed. For example when you don't do anything and just a static desktop is displayed. Once you move your mouse or do anything, it should act the same as adaptive. But it seems it isn't bug free yet, since otherwise you wouldn't have had problems.

Adaptive mode was the default in the past before the new option was added.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum