K-Lite side loading web companion from lavasoft?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

K-Lite side loading web companion from lavasoft?

Post by vincentyu2012 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:46 am

Just installed K-lite standard 12.3.0, but it comes with web companion from Lavasoft without any indication during installation. Did anybody encounter this?

vincentyu2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: K-Lite side loading web companion from lavasoft?

Post by Admin on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:06 am

There is a page shown during the installation where you can decline this optional offer. It's near the end, after all options pages. You must have accidentally clicked past it. Bundled offers are only shown during fresh installs, so you don't need to worry about it happening again if you update.

You can uninstall it through the Windows control panel, same way as with any other software.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by vincentyu2012 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:10 pm

Thanks for the info.

vincentyu2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:00 am

For those who came here through the shark007.net website:

The K-Lite installer may show an offer for a bundled third party software product. There offers are OPTIONAL and are NEVER installed without your explicit permission. You can simply click DECLINE and nothing will get installed!
Offers are shown only during fresh installs and never during upgrades or silent installs.
These offers are needed to support development of the codec pack, and to provide you with a superior product now and in the future. This way the developers don't have to beg for donations.
The included offers are from respectable companies and offer functionality that can be useful (to some of you). The software can also be easily uninstalled. K-Lite never includes any malware or other malicious software.
A tip that we can give to people that are concerned about accidentally accepting an offer for bundled software is to install a little program called Unchecky. This tool will automatically decline bundled offers in a large number of software products, including K-Lite.

Shark007 used to contain a lot of bundled software too, not long ago. But in his case it was much more difficult to decline, and there have been several cases where things got installed without user permissions. When users complained about this he said it was the fault of the company that bundled the software, and that he could not do anything about it. I think it is scary when a developer has no control over its own software...

Shark007 likes to talk bad about K-Lite in order to "promote" his own pack. His website contains some quotes from a Microsoft representative that have been taken totally out of context. The person in question is Zachd, a former developer of Windows Media Player. The timeframe on which the quotes are based is from more than 10 years ago (!), long before Shark007 even existed. At that time the individual codecs that were available were much less mature and stable than they are now. Setting up codecs to play everything was a real challenge back then. K-Lite was brand new at that time and quickly grew popular because it made things very easy for users. But due to the poor quality of the individual codecs, crashes were more common. Microsoft collects telemetry about crashes. When Zachd said that many crashes were caused by K-Lite, he of course meant by codecs that were installed by K-Lite. However, the same happened with manually installed codecs, and other packs that were available at that time.

What Shark007 doesn't know, is that K-Lite developers have worked together with Microsoft to identify and where possible fix common causes of codec stability problems. This has resulted in significant improvements to the individual codecs. Just to be clear, K-Lite doesn't make the individual codecs. It just bundles the best available. However, K-Lite developers do help the codec developers whenever possible. The gathered knowledge has also been used to make the K-Lite installer detect (and optionally remove) many bad third party codecs. This all happened many years ago!
Microsoft is (and has been for a long time) very satisfied with the quality of K-Lite. Microsoft Valued Professionals (MSVPs) often recommend K-Lite due to its problems solving capabilities. Same applies to many helpdesks around the world.

People who use K-Lite are generally extremely satisfied. Those who report a problem get friendly and knowledgeable help. Whenever a problem exists (rarely) it gets fixed quickly. K-Lite has millions of users due to its quality and reliability.

Here is a response from Zachd:

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reiga on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:31 pm

hello,

yesterday i installed the Mega-Version. On the install i clicked on DECLINE, but after the install a "Web search" was installed. I'm 100% sure i clicked on "DECLINE"!!!

reiga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:57 pm

There is no bundled app called `Web Search` in the official installer. Unfortunately, bad people take the installer and wrap it with their own adware, and then spread it through ads.

That is why there are details on the website (filename, size, SHA256 hash) that can be used to verify if you have a genuine installer. We also provide direct downloads now for easy downloading from a trusted source.

K-Lite never installs (or even download) a bundled offer when you click DECLINE.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elizabeth23 on Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:47 am

Hello, new to this forum, I just installed K-lite mega package last week, so far so good, there were offers which I declined and nothing got installed but the regular program.

Happy with it so far, should probably just installed the basic as all I want to do is listen to music, and the MPC-HC is great because the volume is leveled and I could not do that with WMP11, in windows xp. Smile

Elizabeth23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by heavymod on Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:51 pm

Admin wrote:There is no bundled app called `Web Search` in the official installer. Unfortunately, bad people take the installer and wrap it with their own adware, and then spread it through ads.

That is why there are details on the website (filename, size, SHA256 hash) that can be used to verify if you have a genuine installer. We also provide direct downloads now for easy downloading from a trusted source.

K-Lite never installs (or even download) a bundled offer when you click DECLINE.

I assume the user is talking about Web Companion. I have to admit I was really surprised when that POS software showed up on my "clean" computer build. I'm pretty careful about that type of stuff. The uninstall was not very clean, and definitely frustrating process. ( I did a system restore to before the install - and it left all sorts of crap files all over the place. I guess I should have uninstalled, and only then done the restore. )

For anyone else who comes to this page, this is what the screens looked like on the "Advanced" settings on the Standard Pack. Personally, I think that K-Lite could be more obvious about the "offers", since it seems like it is designed to sneak past you. If this isn't K-Lite's intent, I would recommend you change that opt in process.

What confuses me is - the first time I accidentally installed the Web Companion, and uninstalled it. I did NOT realize I had accidentally installed Video Ad Blocker ( I only realized now, when I was testing the install process ) . I don't see any record of it on my machine. Was this Additional Software Offer added in the last few days? I can't imagine I would have accidentally installed one and not the other.

Any tips on locating and removing this? I have checked in FF and Chrome for a Video AdBlocker extension, and don't see anything.

I've used Klite for... shit maybe a decade now? I greatly appreciate the work that goes into it. I don't believe I've experience crashes related to klite.

heavymod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:59 pm

If you don't see it in the extension list in Firefox and Chrome it means it wasn't installed.

Unchecky is a free application that can automatically decline offers in many applications.
https://unchecky.com/

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:08 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum