K-Lite Codec Pack downloads and Malware

View previous topic View next topic Go down

K-Lite Codec Pack downloads and Malware

Post by gbr13697 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:13 am

The software is great, but I would personally prefer to pay for it rather than have to run the gauntlet of malware from the download sites. Downloading the Megapack 11.8 from Digital Digest is lethal. You are redirected to a download called Codec Pack.zip, which seems credible, but the download is packed with malware. I have frequently had problems getting a clean download of updates, but this time was awful. Is there really no better way of distributing it?

gbr13697

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: K-Lite Codec Pack downloads and Malware

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:02 am

That is an ad on which you are clicking. The real link is below on that page. Actual download links are never such big images. That should help you on other websites as well. Installing an ad blocker would be a good thing to do.

The genuine download always has the exact same filename and file size as mentioned on our download page. The file should also have a matching MD5/SHA256 hash.

I will ask Digital Digest to block the bad ad.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gbr13697 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:38 am

The download arrow image has a message "Download Codec Pack". That link opens a new page with another download arrow image, together with a clear description of the K Lite Mega Pack. That link again goes to a new page, with another button - this time with no description other than "To complete your download". This is the link to the "Codec Pack Mega.zip". This is clear and deliberate misdirection by Digital Digest, and there is no indication that you are being taken to a download packed with malware. The fact that the second link has a clear description of what should be the correct download shows that I did not click on an advert.

gbr13697

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:55 am

Websites have little control over the ads that are shown so it is nearly impossible to pro-actively block misleading ones. But bad ones can be blocked by them when notified of their existence.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gbr13697 on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:54 am

Whether it is Digital Digest that is at fault, or an advertiser on their site, it is very difficult for users of the K-Lite Codec packs to get updates without getting hit with malware. The other mirrors are no better. My question remains; is there really no better way to distribute the software?

gbr13697

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:57 am

Sure, if you can donate a couple thousand dollars for hosting.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:21 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum