BEWARE UNWANTED ADWARE INCLUDED!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BEWARE UNWANTED ADWARE INCLUDED!

Post by sqrly on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:20 am

I downloaded the K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1136_Mega from mirror 3 Betanews and installed it only to find it also installed webcompanion.

This shit is hard to get rid of. My registry is a fucking mess, may have to re install the OS Sad

sqrly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BEWARE UNWANTED ADWARE INCLUDED!

Post by Admin on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:44 pm

It is a completely optional offer during installation. You may have overlooked it, which can happen unfortunately.

To remove WebCompanion, simply run its uninstaller like you do with any other software. You don't need to reinstall your OS.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sagaz on Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:59 pm

Sqrly is right because I unchecked the box related to "Web Companion" installation and the adware program still was installed on my computer. As if this were not enough, the program doesn't have its own uninstaller and the classic option from the Control Panel doesn't uninstall it.

I'm very angry and I would consider legal action against Lavasoft, Codec Guide and K-Lite responsibles if none of you solves my problem.

I'm waiting for your answer.

Sagaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:52 pm

It sucks when something unwanted gets installed, but at least be honest and say you did not pay enough attention during installation when the offer was shown. There is no checkbox for it. It actually shows ACCEPT and DECLINE buttons. It only gets installed if you accepted the offer. 100% guaranteed.

You can uninstall it from the classic control panel, just like in older versions of Windows. The uninstaller should work correctly. If you can give any details (like error messages) about its failure, then maybe I can help.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sagaz on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:00 am

Are you calling me dishonest? I paid close attention during installation as I always do and I didn't accept any offer, I swear it to do. If your offer method wasn't shown as usual it's not my fault. I haven't accepted anything, do you understand it?

And I would like that you pay attention to what you are reading just as you use capital letters. I have told you that I've tried to uninstall "WebCompanion" from the Control Panel and the program remains installed and working. The uninstaller doesn't work and the folder doesn't have its own uninstaller (and now can't be found at the Control Panel).

I demand a solution to my problem.

Sagaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:25 am

Well, first you say you unchecked a box, and now you say you didn't see anything at all.

It is possible that a reboot is needed to remove the last remaining pieces. So if you haven't restarted yet since uninstalling it, try that.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:45 am

If necessary, I can make a small removal tool.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sagaz on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:01 pm

I have not said that I didn't see anything at all, so don't put those words in my mouth. I have said that first I didn't accepted the offer and then I unchecked a box. Consequently, that program shouldn't be installed on my computer. It seems that you are more focused to be right than apologising.

I've rebooted my computer several times and the programs remains installed on it. Therefore, I would appreciate a removal tool that uninstalls "Web Companion" and removes registry entries and other traces.

Sagaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:09 pm

I don't know what you saw and when and where you saw it. Maybe you remember some checkbox that was shown somewhere after it had already been installed. I just deal with facts I do know and that is how the offer is presented in the installer. There is dedicated page in the installer for WC. It has no checkbox, just text. At the bottom of that page there are two buttons, accept and decline. WC only gets installed if the accept button is clicked. Of course, clicking it can happen unintentionally. But it never installs without it being clicked. I will therefore not apologize, ever.

I hope to have a removal tool ready later today or tomorrow.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:51 am

Here is a removal tool:
sendspace.com o9nslg

Run the tool and reboot when it is done.

Then finally:
Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-click and "Run as Administrator"
Execute this command: netsh winsock reset

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:59 am

For those who came here through the shark007.net website:

The K-Lite installer may show an offer for a bundled third party software product. There offers are OPTIONAL and are NEVER installed without your explicit permission. You can simply click DECLINE and nothing will get installed!
Offers are shown only during fresh installs and never during upgrades or silent installs.
These offers are needed to support development of the codec pack, and to provide you with a superior product now and in the future. This way the developers don't have to beg for donations.
The included offers are from respectable companies and offer functionality that can be useful (to some of you). The software can also be easily uninstalled. K-Lite never includes any malware or other malicious software.
A tip that we can give to people that are concerned about accidentally accepting an offer for bundled software is to install a little program called Unchecky. This tool will automatically decline bundled offers in a large number of software products, including K-Lite.

Shark007 used to contain a lot of bundled software too, not long ago. But in his case it was much more difficult to decline, and there have been several cases where things got installed without user permissions. When users complained about this he said it was the fault of the company that bundled the software, and that he could not do anything about it. I think it is scary when a developer has no control over its own software...

Shark007 likes to talk bad about K-Lite in order to "promote" his own pack. His website contains some quotes from a Microsoft representative that have been taken totally out of context. The person in question is Zachd, a former developer of Windows Media Player. The timeframe on which the quotes are based is from more than 10 years ago (!), long before Shark007 even existed. At that time the individual codecs that were available were much less mature and stable than they are now. Setting up codecs to play everything was a real challenge back then. K-Lite was brand new at that time and quickly grew popular because it made things very easy for users. But due to the poor quality of the individual codecs, crashes were more common. Microsoft collects telemetry about crashes. When Zachd said that many crashes were caused by K-Lite, he of course meant by codecs that were installed by K-Lite. However, the same happened with manually installed codecs, and other packs that were available at that time.

What Shark007 doesn't know, is that K-Lite developers have worked together with Microsoft to identify and where possible fix common causes of codec stability problems. This has resulted in significant improvements to the individual codecs. Just to be clear, K-Lite doesn't make the individual codecs. It just bundles the best available. However, K-Lite developers do help the codec developers whenever possible. The gathered knowledge has also been used to make the K-Lite installer detect (and optionally remove) many bad third party codecs. This all happened many years ago!
Microsoft is (and has been for a long time) very satisfied with the quality of K-Lite. Microsoft Valued Professionals (MSVPs) often recommend K-Lite due to its problems solving capabilities. Same applies to many helpdesks around the world.

People who use K-Lite are generally extremely satisfied. Those who report a problem get friendly and knowledgeable help. Whenever a problem exists (rarely) it gets fixed quickly. K-Lite has millions of users due to its quality and reliability.

Here is a response from Zachd:

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mooms on Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:41 am

I'm using K-Lite codec pack since at least ten years, back to the XP era, and it never failed me !
I remember Quicktime and Real Alternative, that was good times Smile
I also want to thank you for the continuous service all these years, and I hope you will continue !
Keep up the good work !

P.S: how many are you maintaining the codec pack ? I always thought you were one: admin/CLSID, am I wrong ?

mooms

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:34 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum