Powerpoint 2010 not playing swf files properly after installing 10.8.5 mega

2 posters

Go down

Powerpoint 2010 not playing swf files properly after installing 10.8.5 mega Empty Powerpoint 2010 not playing swf files properly after installing 10.8.5 mega

Post by fluffbunny Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:37 pm

After installing k-lie 10.8.5 Mega, swf files no longer work correctly in Powerpoint 2010. I have them added using the "Insert < Video" dialogue and they used to work fine, automatically playing when in slideshow. Now, they will start to play but only about 10-15 seconds worth and then it stops and will not continue. If I preview the video when editing the powerpoint, it will play all the way through, it's just while in the slideshow that it will not play completely. I've tried uninstalling and updating to 10.8.8 but nothing helps. I have another computer that was working fine, and I installed k-lite and now it too will not play completely, so I know it's due to this installation.

fluffbunny

Back to top Go down

Powerpoint 2010 not playing swf files properly after installing 10.8.5 mega Empty Re: Powerpoint 2010 not playing swf files properly after installing 10.8.5 mega

Post by Admin Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:26 am

You can solve that by disabling SWF in the settings of LAV Splitter.

You must have some other filter installed that is capable of handling SWF, because Windows does not support such files by default. I am curious which one it is. It might be helpful for you to know as well in case you want to deploy the presentation on another system.

You can generate a list of installed codecs with:
Codec Tweak Tool > Generate Log

Also, since the file does play partially, it might be a fixable problem with regard to LAV Splitter. Could you share a file that gives the problem? You can upload the file to sendspace.com or any other free hosting site. You can send the link in a private message if needed.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Powerpoint 2010 not playing swf files properly after installing 10.8.5 mega Empty Re: Powerpoint 2010 not playing swf files properly after installing 10.8.5 mega

Post by fluffbunny Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:13 pm

Below is a link with a few files in it.  The log generated by going to "Codec Tweak Tool > Generate Log" as well as the .pptx file and the .swf file.  Since Powerpoint doesn't embed .swf files, you'll need to download and put both files in the same directory.  AI tried what you suggested.  Going to Lav Splitter, going to "Input Format" and unchecking ".swf", but it didn't help. If you open the powerpoint and right-click the media and click "Preview", the entire swf plays fine.  If you run the powerpoint, which automatically starts the .swf file, it stops about half way through and will not start up again.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-EU1UN4S-pzVnZPNlZsOE1uVE0&usp=sharing

fluffbunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:09 pm

It plays the whole animation here, both in preview and in presentation. It uses the Adobe Flash plugin for playback of the SWF file. I have verified that it did not use any codecs from the pack. So it was not even needed to disable anything in LAV Splitter.

I tested with the 64-bit version of PP2010. But I don't think that matters much. I have Flash version 16.0.235 installed. That is the latest version, released two days ago. You can download it here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html
PowerPoint uses the OCX plugin that is part of the Internet Explorer version of the Flash installer. Perhaps you only have the Flash plugin installed for other browsers?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffbunny Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:02 pm

That's weird. I have two computers that don't play the powerpoint correctly with k-lite installed. I've tried many other computers of the same make and model without k-lite installed and they all work. I've tried uninstalling and installing flash on the affected computers to no avail. Another laptop played fine (also latest version of flash) so I installed k-lite as a test and as soon as I did so, now it too doesn't work. Nothing else changed. It seems like something is up. What version of k-lite are you on?

fluffbunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:53 pm

Tried again, and now it doesn't fully play. I did reboot and install some Windows Updates in between. Maybe I am going crazy, haha.Tried it on an old computer that hasn't been updated in a while and there the video ended too soon too. Problem also remains after uninstalling all codecs. But I don't see any reason why codecs would have any affect on it, since it uses Adobe Flash for playback. The pack does not really do anything related to SWF files. Does it start working again if you uninstall the pack on that last laptop?

I did try with another SWF file and that played correctly till the end during presentation mode.

I will try it in a virtual machine with a fully clean install later.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:16 am

This problem is fucking weird. I have spend a few hours messing with this. It is related to the Office security settings.

1) Clean install. Animation plays fine.
2) Install LAV Splitter
3) Animation aborts. PowerPoint tries to loads LAV Splitter, but does not use it for playback. Probably goes crazy since it is not a signed ActiveX module. Adjusting security settings in PowerPoint to trust and allow everything makes no fucking difference.
4) Completely remove LAV Splitter. Absolutely no trace is left behind. (I used complete snapshots of the entire Registry and File system for comparisons)
5) Animation still aborts.
6) Copy files to another folder. Then animation fucking plays properly.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffbunny Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:42 pm

OK. So I'm not going crazy. I've had the same problem. Although even after uninstalling, moving files to another folder doesn't seem to work for me. I thank you for your work on this. I don't know if I have any other choice at this point but to reformat the damn machine and just not install k-lite. Doesn't make any sense.

fluffbunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:42 pm

I have found a solution.

1) Delete the following file:
%localappdata%\DCBC2A71-70D8-4DAN-EHR8-E0D61DEA3FDF.ini
This is some sort of cache created by the embedded WMP control that PowerPoint uses for playback. It can safely be deleted.

2) Disable SWF in LAV Splitter, or alternatively, put PowerPoint of the blacklist of LAV Splitter:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LAV64\Splitter\Blacklist]
"powerpnt.exe"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\LAV64\Splitter\Blacklist]

I consider this strange behavior to be a bug in PowerPoint or maybe WMP. I am going to try PP2013 to see if that has the same issue.

Last edited by Admin on Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffbunny Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:18 pm

I removed the file and added the registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LAV64\Splitter\Blacklist]

I added it as a 64-bit DWord.

I do not have a registry location of [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SysWow64\LAV64\Splitter\Blacklist]
but I do have a location of [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\LAV\Splitter\Blacklist]
I added "powerpnt.exe"=dword:00000001 there too as a 64-bit Dword but it didn't fix it.

I went back and used a 32-bit DWord instead in the first registry = no difference.
I went back and used a 32-bit DWord in the second location = SUCCESS!

I will try this method of my other affected machine and see if it too works.

fluffbunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:20 pm

Yes, I made a typo.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:46 pm

PowerPoint 2013 does not suffer from this problem.

However, its default security settings doesn't allow Flash. That can be fixed with this tweak:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-powerpoint/powerpoint-2013-security-settings/253039d8-5a1c-455e-a5b5-79ffe646854b

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum