Flash video SWF files - What codec to activate in WMP12 Win7 64-bit

2 posters

Go down

Flash video SWF files - What codec to activate in WMP12  Win7 64-bit Empty Flash video SWF files - What codec to activate in WMP12 Win7 64-bit

Post by DiracDeBroglie Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:53 pm

I can't play Flash video SWF files.  Each time I got a message from WMP saying "Your current security settings do not allow this action" and WMP shows black.

FLV files are no problem, I ticked the FLV1 checkbox in -ffdshow video decoder configuration- and right away I could play any FLV video in WMP.

So, what decoder should I check in ffdshow in order to get the SWF files to play in WMP?

Thanks
Johan

DiracDeBroglie

Back to top Go down

Flash video SWF files - What codec to activate in WMP12  Win7 64-bit Empty Re: Flash video SWF files - What codec to activate in WMP12 Win7 64-bit

Post by Admin Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:28 pm

First of all, SWF and FLV are two completely different types of files. SWF is not really a video format. It is a (possibly interactive) Flash animation.

Secondly, you don't need to make any settings changes to play FLV files. The codec pack uses LAV Video decoder by default, and that is better than ffdshow.

You can play SWF files with Media Player Classic. That uses the Flash ActiveX browser plugin that is installed on your computer for 'playing' the file. You can also play a downloaded SWF file by dragging&dropping them onto your webbrowser.

A solution for the WMP error can be found here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/the-problem-your-current-security-settings-do-not/59659b56-295c-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5?msgId=ebcb0e34-ac69-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Flash video SWF files - What codec to activate in WMP12  Win7 64-bit Empty Re: Flash video SWF files - What codec to activate in WMP12 Win7 64-bit

Post by DiracDeBroglie Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:01 pm

I read the Microsoft support doc and I changed the registry key from 3 to 0 and the problem was solved right away.  So I can play the SWF flash videos.
A million times thanks!

Still a question though about the LAV Video decoder.   I get into the control panel of K-lite by opening the Codec Tweak Tool.  Is there any checkbox, or something else, that would allow me to choose between ffdshow and LAV Video decoder?   If LAV Video decoder kicks in by default, how can one than opt for ffdshow if need be?  There must be some checkbox present, but I could find anything.

johan

DiracDeBroglie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:50 pm

If a format is enabled in both ffdshow and LAV, then ffdshow will be used (due to having a higher merit, a technical detail). By default, the codec pack disables most stuff in ffdshow, so LAV is used with standard settings. If you want to use ffdshow, simply enable a format in its settings. No other changes are necessary.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum