Canon ZoomBrowser not compatible with LAV Splitter for AVI

2 posters

Go down

Canon ZoomBrowser not compatible with LAV Splitter for AVI Empty Canon ZoomBrowser not compatible with LAV Splitter for AVI

Post by andycodec Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:09 pm

Recently I noticed that Canon ZoomBrowser EX cannot play AVI videos anymore. I finally found that K-Lite 9.8.5 defaults to LAV Splitter for AVI videos. I went into Codec Tweak Tool, and changed the preferred splitter back to Microsoft. Canon ZoomBrowser EX can now play AVI videos again.

Canon ImageBrowser EX 1.1.0 for Windows has the same problem with LAV Splitter.

Every Canon digital camera owner probably has ZoomBrowser or ImageBrowser installed. Now they cannot play their older collection of AVI videos if they have installed K-Lite 9.8.5.

I know Canon programming is most likely at fault for the incompatibility. But could Microsoft still be the default splitter for AVI files in the next release? If not, maybe "ZoomBrowser" and "ImageBrowser" could be mentioned in the FAQ about setting the default splitter? This way a Bing/Google search would likely reveal the solution quickly.

Thank you.

andycodec

Back to top Go down

Canon ZoomBrowser not compatible with LAV Splitter for AVI Empty Re: Canon ZoomBrowser not compatible with LAV Splitter for AVI

Post by Admin Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:00 am

Does the problem occur only with AVI files that were recorded with the Canon camera, or also with other AVI files?
If the problem only occurs with the Canon files, do those files play properly in another player, such as MPC-HC or GraphStudioNext? If not, can you upload an sample file for me?

Can you tell me the .exe names of those two Canon programs? It is possible to blacklist individual programs in the splitter.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Canon ZoomBrowser not compatible with LAV Splitter for AVI Empty Re: Canon ZoomBrowser not compatible with LAV Splitter for AVI

Post by andycodec Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:04 am

Thank you for the response.

The problem occurs in ZoomBrowser with a non-Canon created AVI file as well. So you should be able to test using any AVI file. But please let me know if you need a sample AVI file from me.

Another player such as Windows Media Player does not have this problem with AVI files.

ZoomBrowser works fine with MOV files from newer cameras.

ZoomBrowser is available from:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/professional/professional_cameras/softwareapp/zoombrowser
Click on "Drivers & Software"
Windows, Windows 7, Software
Install "ZoomBrowser EX 6.6.0b Application" first. You don't need to have a Canon camera.
Then install "ZoomBrowser EX 6.9.0a Updater" for the latest version.

In ZoomBrowser, use the lower left panel to browse to folders.

The .exe name is "ZoomBrowser.exe"

ImageBrowser is available from:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/professional/professional_cameras/softwareapp/imagebrowser_ex
Click on "Drivers & Software"
Windows, Windows 7, Software
Install "ImageBrowser EX 1.1.0 for Windows". However, the install software asks a Canon camera to be connected to the computer. I don't know how to bypass this step, sorry.

The .exe name is "ImageBrowserEx.exe"

One interesting fact I noticed is that after changing the "Preferred splitters" for .AVI to Microsoft, it is OK to then change back to LAV Splitter right away. In other words, as long as the "Preferred splitters" has been set to Microsoft just one time for .AVI, ZoomBrowser opens AVI files fine even if the "Preferred splitters" is set to LAV Splitter for .AVI.

To make ZoomBrowser fail to open AVI files again, simply reinstall K-Lite (e.g., "Perform quick upgrade").

I have tested the above on both Windows XP Pro and Windows 8 Pro with K-Lite_Codec_Pack_985_Full.exe.

Thanks again.

Last edited by andycodec on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct typo.)

andycodec

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:12 am

One interesting fact I noticed is that after changing the "Preferred splitters" for .AVI to Microsoft, it is OK to then change back to LAV Splitter right away. In other words, as long as the "Preferred splitters" has been set to Microsoft just one time for .AVI, ZoomBrowser opens AVI files fine even if the "Preferred splitters" is set to LAV Splitter for .AVI.
The problem should be easy to avoid then. The installer currently always forces the splitter, while the CTT only forces it when another splitter has higher merit (which doesn't occur under normal circumstances). Forcing has a tiny performance benefit, but insignificant enough to prefer optimal compatibility. So that will be changed.

Thanks for the detailed testing and report.

Admin
Admin

https://codecs.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by andycodec Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:31 am

Thank YOU for putting together K-Lite and supporting it. K-Lite is a wonderful package!

andycodec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum